Chat Limit Exceed too early

Subject: ChatGPT conversations are reaching maximum length unusually early

Hello OpenAI Support,

I am reporting what appears to be a recent regression in ChatGPT Chat Mode where conversations are reaching their maximum length much earlier than they previously did.

I am a ChatGPT Plus user and have been using ChatGPT heavily for approximately 10 months for a long-running technical/design-system project.

Until recently, I was able to work in long ChatGPT conversations for much longer periods without reaching the permanent conversation-length limit this quickly.

During the last several days, this behavior has changed significantly.

PROBLEM

New ChatGPT conversations are reaching their maximum conversation length unusually early, even when the visible conversation does not appear long enough to explain the limit.

This has now happened repeatedly across multiple newly created chats.

It is making serious long-running work in Chat Mode very difficult.

IMPORTANT REPRODUCTION TEST

Initially I suspected that my older ChatGPT Project had accumulated too much historical context.

To test that, I created an entirely NEW and CLEAN ChatGPT Project specifically for the current work.

I reduced the active Project Sources and moved historical material out of the active workspace.

The new project contains only a small current context set, including:

  • one current context/continuity file;
  • one current system rule document;
  • a Google Drive connection for targeted source retrieval;
  • reference images attached only where required.

I then started a completely new chat named:

AC.Nova01

Despite starting from this clean project and a new conversation, AC.Nova01 again reached the maximum conversation length unusually early.

This strongly suggests that the issue is not simply caused by my old Project or old chat history.

WHAT MY WORKFLOW INCLUDES

My conversations can involve:

  • Project files;
  • Google Drive retrieval;
  • document searches;
  • image/reference analysis;
  • occasional historical-context searches;
  • multiple tool/source scans;
  • long reasoning responses.

I understand that these operations can consume context.

However, I have been doing comparable heavy work in ChatGPT for many months, and conversations previously lasted substantially longer.

The sudden recent change is the reason I am reporting this.

I also tested reducing/reorganizing the project context, but the premature maximum-length behavior continued.

OBSERVATION ABOUT WORK MODE

I have also noticed that Work Mode appears able to continue substantial work without reaching the same conversation limit as quickly.

However, Work Mode behaves differently from normal Chat Mode and does not provide the same conversational reasoning/response experience I rely on.

I therefore need the normal Chat Mode issue investigated rather than simply being advised to switch modes.

EXPECTED BEHAVIOR

A newly created ChatGPT conversation should not reach its permanent maximum length unusually early compared with the same type of workflow I have used successfully for many months.

ACTUAL BEHAVIOR

Multiple newly created conversations now reach maximum length much sooner than before, including a conversation inside a newly created clean Project.

PLEASE INVESTIGATE

Could you please investigate whether there has been:

  • a regression in conversation-length handling;
  • a change in how tool calls/tool results are counted or retained;
  • a change in how Project retrieval or project-memory context is counted;
  • a change involving Google Drive/source retrieval;
  • a change in how images/files contribute to persistent conversation state;
  • or another recent change that could cause conversations to hit the permanent maximum length much earlier?

Please do not treat “start a new chat” as the resolution, because I have already created multiple new chats and a completely new Project, and the issue reproduced.

ACCOUNT / ENVIRONMENT

Plan: ChatGPT Plus
Product: ChatGPT web
Operating system: Windows 10
Browser: Google Chrome
Browser version: approximately Chrome 154
Usage type: Projects + Chat Mode + files + Google Drive + image/source analysis
Time zone: Pakistan Standard Time (UTC+5)

Recent affected conversation:
AC.Nova01

Previous affected conversation:
ZTA_AC.Nova by Zubair (11)

The issue has reproduced across more than one new conversation.

I am attaching screenshots showing my account activity and the affected conversation behavior.

I can also provide:

  • affected conversation URLs;
  • more exact timestamps;
  • additional screenshots;
  • browser console information;
  • or a HAR file if Support needs one.

This issue is seriously disrupting an ongoing project because I now have to repeatedly export conversations, rebuild context, and start new chats simply to continue normal work.

Please escalate this as a possible ChatGPT conversation-length regression and let me know what diagnostic information you need from me.

Thank you.

I am adding a comment to see that I have seen this as well. I have a chat that is now split over 4 parts. The first and second parts contain approximately 20 created word documents each plus significant lengths of just conversation working out what was needed, what to included, what needed to be revised, etc. The third part which has just maxed out contains 4 word documents. Same process, less conversation because the standard had already been established, but only 4 word documents were created before the conversation reached maximum length. I am not sure if this is because I am now retrieving the files directly from Drive instead of uploading them, as that is the only part of my workflow that has changed, or if the conversation max limit has genuinely shortened. It could be a combination of both. However, having to split a conversation across so many parts is impacting the workability of the project I am working on. Especially as often, even with a direct transcript of the previous conversations, ChatGPT takes a few turns to actually understand the previous rooms.

Plan: ChatGPT Plus
Product: ChatGPT web
Operating system: MacOS
Browser: Google Chrome
Browser version: Version 154.0.8037.58 (Official Build) (x86_64)
Usage type: Projects, Chat Mode, files, Google Drive (retrieval only), document creation, Sol 5.6 High reasoning
Time zone: AEST (GMT+10). The conversation that maxed out early compared to previous conversations began on Sunday, 27 September and maxed out on Wednesday, 30 September.