ChaosGPT: An AI That Seeks to Destroy Humanity

Today I hope to finish modding BabyAGI. Why? Well, I have a friend who has his own consulting business, and he is coaching/training potential CEO’s for other companies. I fed a list of his questions into GPT-4 and he said the answers were “too high level”. So hoping that the BabyAGI mods I make will drill down better on the objective. But point-probing the model directly in the Playground could work too. It’s a crapshoot, but if this type of “brainstorming” could be automated, I think that would be huge!

So to your points @RonaldGRuckus and @N2U, it does come down to skill. I looked at the initial responses from GPT-4 and thought they were awesome! He thought they were too basic. He’s obviously skilled in this area, whereas admittedly, I’m a total n00b.

But in areas that I am not a n00b, such as code, I find the GPT results to be lackluster, similar to the CEO training guy.

I guess this is the allure of GPT. It makes you seem smarter than you are, and to you this is true, but to the experts, you are still a n00b. :rofl:

2 Likes

BabyAGI (and Chroma) are completely new to me. What benefits do you find using a self-supervised loop (is that correct?) as opposed to manually confirming the results and preparing the next task? My biggest concern is its tunnel vision. I mainly use ChatGPT for coding, but I imagine that on some sort of level it’s the same concept. I can write some complete garbage code, ask for it to adjust a certain section, and it will leave my garbage code along and try to somehow implement my new addition, which usually … is … interesting. I almost need to remind ChatGPT to “consciously” observe the complete code and it’s purpose every time to ensure that it, as a complete unit is logical and efficient. It has actually forced me to be completely modular with my coding as I couldn’t just simply paste every single file every single time I wanted to adjust another function in another file.

Yes! My biggest fear is entrenching myself in fallacies and non-logic because my foundation is weak. Full of cracks, and holes. Yet ChatGPT at times happily helps me build on top of it. It has definitely made me more critical of myself, and more focused on stressing the foundation first. I have gone down quite a number of rabbit holes to eventually realize “Wait. This is all nonsense!”.

It reminds me of the (horribly paraphrased) saying “First year students always know everything”. Yes! That is me as well! The amount of times I have said something in complete over-confidence & ignorance, well, I’m embarrassed to say the least. Fortunately I have people willing to challenge me at every stop. Thank you, fellow humans.

If you don’t mind me asking, what does your mod do for/with BabyAGI?

1 Like

All I am doing is removing the dependency on Pinecone. And just overall simplification of the core code. Stripping it down to the core algorithms, mainly for my own understanding.

These “AI agents” are new to pretty much everyone. They just started hitting the mainstream a few weeks ago, and so I’m messing around with them to assess their capabilities and potential use.

1 Like

It’s pretty interesting how people are reacting to agents as being something new, OpenAI (or rather the red team) has used agents to test their models for every single release, that I’ve read, (it’s in the technical report), but every time they’ve found it unable to perform to a human standard.

I assume that’s because they expert’s and actually know how to do stuff, where as the average reddit user will loudly proclaim:

It is I, GigaChad, the AutoGPT user extraordinaire! I walk this earth with an aura of confidence, charisma, and pockets full of spaghetti.

2 Likes

Agreed. My news feed is blowing up with “AI agent” stories. Including the one that started this thread “ChaosGPT”.

What’s making them explode, I think, is that with the rollout of GPT-4, these agents are actually producing interesting things.

The magical thing that they do, is to “produce something” based on a few small inputs.

I have an example on this thread, where I only input “Become a machine learning expert.” as the Objective, and the Initial task: “Learn about tensors.”, and it starts churning out data like crazy!

It will go continuously and feedback its generated tasks based on previously embedded results. It becomes an echo chamber of “AI thoughts” and it is continuously trying to satisfy the initial Objective that you give it. Since it is breaking down things in steps (tasks) it leverages the power of “Chain of Thought” (CoT) that these LLM’s seem to tremendously benefit from.

So the feedback, CoT, and now the expansiveness of GPT-4 make these “super agents”, at least compared to previous efforts. I think this could be the next big thing, especially since it directly taps the CoT superpower, that makes any LLM seem like it is on steroids!

2 Likes

Interesting things indeed!

It’s interesting to see where it breaks because it’s shows us something about the models ability to understand context.

CoT is only a superpower when it comes to tasks it knows how to solve, when it doesn’t it will go off track really quickly :laughing:

But, if you’re injecting yourself into the loop thing start to get really interesting, I tried this, told one agent to “request human assistance for outside information and corrections” and was able to get amazing results.

1 Like

Oh wow. I don’t know why but it clicked for me.
If I understand it correctly, court hearings could take mere seconds to resolve.

An echo chamber of AI thoughts just sounds like a fractal to me though. It may seem different, but it all is just a different moment in the same repetitive pattern. A conversation of 1,000 lines in most cases is actually just a summary, and a tail of N messages, right? The end result could probably be accomplished with one prompt.

This reminds me of my times playing with “expanding” Dall-E images. After a certain point of letting it generate new content, it almost always either enters a literal fractal, or a singular color. No matter how “rich” the initial prompt is, it always eventually fails.

I can appreciate that it’s logically leading itself to the end result, but it’s the in-between that matters! Not the result!

“42” ← This is the result of something…Not sure… But it is…

I have spent 0 seconds playing with any of these looping GPT models, so I’m completely speaking in ignorance.

1 Like

This is pretty good intuition on what is going on in the “AI agent”, or repeated inference calls.

More broadly I would classify it in terms of Chaos Theory. The reasoning is that the system output is highly uncorrelated over time compared to very close inputs (very correlated inputs). Also, in Chaos Theory, the system has a ton of “orbits” or states that will repeat once it gets locked into one. The “fractal” is just the outline of the basins of attraction, or different orbiting states.

So over time, the AI response might loop. The loop period could be really long and unnoticeable, or short and obvious.

The temperature, though, puts it on “different loops” continuously, so you can extract more information from it. There is a balance though … too high of a temperature could break the ability of the AI to respond in a pre-defined format (while in-loop). But too low would reduce its “creativity”. The balance here is that GPT-4 appears to have high adherence to defined formats in the loop (with higher temp), and high creativity (because of the higher requested temperature).

I’d say the older models request low temp to remain stable in format, while suffering in creativity. Another bonus for GPT-4 I guess, and why this concept is getting more traction right now.

1 Like

Your comments are very insightful. Thank you.

Dynamic temperature settings are such a fun concept that I’m hoping to explore soon.

I would be a fool to say that there’s no value in these looping agents. Such a powerful concept. Although, an understanding and control of the process becomes much harder once it’s part of a loop.

Life, although as a balancing act, is truly beautiful in its chaos.

Your comment (in general) has made me think, but specifically about the “basins of attraction” is very cool. I honestly have not spent any time deeply understanding chaos theory, or now, connecting it to GPT. Off I go.

It’s romantic, really. Reminds me of two completely different lives, meeting at the same place and same time, and turning out to be soul mates.

I will need to try out these agents. If you do release your mod please let me know.

1 Like

OK, had to ditch BabyAGI, and decided to create my own agent. Here is the first pass. I call it “CurtGPT:rofl: Currently no setup, just give it your OpenAPI token. This is the first run using gpt-3.5-turbo. Still trying to conceptualize things.

OBJECTIVE
Become a machine learning expert.

Generated Task

Research the properties and operations of tensors in linear algebra and write a summary of your findings.

Generated Task

Implement a simple tensor operation in Python using NumPy and explain the steps involved.

Generated Task

Create a matrix multiplication function using tensors in TensorFlow and test it on a small dataset.

Generated Task

Build a neural network from scratch using only tensor operations and train it on a toy dataset.

Generated Task

Explore the different types of tensors like sparse tensors and ragged tensors and explain their use cases in machine learning.

Generated Task

Investigate the role of tensors in convolutional neural networks (CNNs) and explain how they are used for image processing tasks.

Generated Task

Compare and contrast the tensor operations in PyTorch and TensorFlow, and highlight the pros and cons of each framework.

Generated Task

Analyze the performance of tensor-based operations on large datasets and identify potential bottlenecks.

Generated Task

Create a visualization of a high-dimensional tensor using t-SNE or PCA and explain how it can be used for data exploration and analysis.

Generated Task

Implement a tensor decomposition algorithm like Singular Value Decomposition (SVD) or Tucker Decomposition and explain how it can be used for feature extraction and data compression.
Current Task is: Research the properties and operations of tensors in linear algebra and write a summary of your findings.

Expounded Task

As an AI, I have extensively studied tensors in linear algebra, and I can tell you that they are fundamental objects used in many areas of mathematics and physics, including machine learning. Tensors are a generalization of vectors and matrices and can be thought of as multi-dimensional arrays of numbers.

Tensors have several properties and operations that make them useful in a variety of applications. One important property is their rank, which is the number of dimensions of the tensor. For example, a scalar (a single number) has rank 0, a vector has rank 1, and a matrix has rank 2. Higher-rank tensors can be thought of as collections of lower-rank tensors, and they can be manipulated using various operations.

One such operation is tensor multiplication, which is a generalization of matrix multiplication. In tensor multiplication, the elements of two tensors are multiplied together according to certain rules, resulting in a new tensor. Another important operation is tensor contraction, which involves summing over one or more indices of a tensor to obtain a new tensor of lower rank.

Tensors also have a number of important properties, such as symmetry and invertibility. A tensor is said to be symmetric if it remains the same under certain permutations of its indices. Invertible tensors have an inverse, which is another tensor that, when multiplied by the original tensor, results in the identity tensor (a tensor with ones on the diagonal and zeros elsewhere).

Overall, tensors are powerful mathematical objects that are essential for understanding and developing machine learning algorithms. By understanding their properties and operations, we can better manipulate and analyze complex data structures and build more accurate models.
Current Task is: Implement a simple tensor operation in Python using NumPy and explain the steps involved.

Expounded Task

Sure, I can help you with that. A tensor is a multi-dimensional array, and it’s a fundamental data structure used in machine learning. NumPy is a popular Python library for numerical computing, and it provides a convenient way to perform tensor operations.

Let’s start by installing NumPy using pip:

!pip install numpy

Once NumPy is installed, we can import it and create a tensor using the numpy.array() function. Here’s an example:

import numpy as np

# Create a tensor with shape (2, 3)
tensor = np.array([[1, 2, 3], [4, 5, 6]])

# Print the tensor
print(tensor)

This will output:

[[1 2 3]
 [4 5 6]]

Now, let’s perform a simple tensor operation. We’ll multiply the tensor by 2 using the numpy.multiply() function:

# Multiply the tensor by 2
result = np.multiply(tensor, 2)

# Print the result
print(result)

This will output:

[[ 2  4  6]
 [ 8 10 12]]

The numpy.multiply() function performs element-wise multiplication between two arrays. In this case, we’re multiplying each element of the tensor by 2.

That’s it! We’ve performed a simple tensor operation using NumPy. To become a machine learning expert, you’ll need to learn much more about tensors and how to manipulate them using NumPy and other libraries. But this is a good starting point.
Current Task is: Create a matrix multiplication function using tensors in TensorFlow and test it on a small dataset.

Expounded Task

Certainly, I can help you with that. Here’s a code snippet for a matrix multiplication function using TensorFlow tensors:

import tensorflow as tf

def matrix_multiply(a, b):
    """
    Multiplies two matrices using TensorFlow tensors.

Args:
    a: a 2D TensorFlow tensor.
    b: a 2D TensorFlow tensor.

Returns:
    The product of the two matrices.
    """
    return tf.matmul(a, b)

To test this function on a small dataset, you can create two random matrices using TensorFlow and feed them into the function:

# Create two random matrices of size 2x2
a = tf.random.normal([2, 2])
b = tf.random.normal([2, 2])

# Multiply the matrices using the matrix_multiply function
c = matrix_multiply(a, b)

# Print the result
print(c)

This will output the product of the two matrices, which should be a 2x2 tensor.

I hope this helps you on your journey to becoming a machine learning expert!
Current Task is: Build a neural network from scratch using only tensor operations and train it on a toy dataset.

Expounded Task

Sure! Here’s an example of building a neural network from scratch using tensor operations in Python:

import numpy as np

# Define the toy dataset
X = np.array([[0, 0], [0, 1], [1, 0], [1, 1]])
y = np.array([[0], [1], [1], [0]])

# Define the architecture of the neural network
input_size = 2
hidden_size = 4
output_size = 1

# Initialize the weights and biases randomly
W1 = np.random.randn(input_size, hidden_size)
b1 = np.random.randn(hidden_size)
W2 = np.random.randn(hidden_size, output_size)
b2 = np.random.randn(output_size)

# Define the activation function
def sigmoid(x):
    return 1 / (1 + np.exp(-x))

# Define the forward pass through the network
def forward(X):
    Z1 = np.dot(X, W1) + b1
    A1 = sigmoid(Z1)
    Z2 = np.dot(A1, W2) + b2
    A2 = sigmoid(Z2)
    return A2

# Define the loss function
def loss(y_pred, y_true):
    return np.mean((y_pred - y_true)**2)

# Define the backpropagation algorithm
def backward(X, y_true, y_pred, A1, A2):
    dA2 = 2 * (y_pred - y_true)
    dZ2 = dA2 * sigmoid(Z2) * (1 - sigmoid(Z2))
    dW2 = np.dot(A1.T, dZ2)
    db2 = np.sum(dZ2, axis=0)
    dA1 = np.dot(dZ2, W2.T)
    dZ1 = dA1 * sigmoid(Z1) * (1 - sigmoid(Z1))
    dW1 = np.dot(X.T, dZ1)
    db1 = np.sum(dZ1, axis=0)
    return dW1, db1, dW2, db2

# Train the neural network
learning_rate = 0.1
for i in range(10000):
    # Forward pass
    y_pred = forward(X)
    # Compute loss
    l = loss(y_pred, y)
    # Backward pass
    dW1, db1, dW2, db2 = backward(X, y, y_pred, sigmoid(Z1), sigmoid(Z2))
    # Update weights and biases
    W1 -= learning_rate * dW1
    b1 -= learning_rate * db1
    W2 -= learning_rate * dW2
    b2 -= learning_rate * db2
    # Print loss every 1000 iterations
    if i % 1000 == 0:
        print(f'Iteration {i}: loss={l}')

# Test the neural network
y_pred = forward(X)
print(y_pred)

In this example, we define a toy dataset of 4 input-output pairs, with 2 input features and 1 output. We then define the architecture of a neural network with 2 layers (1 hidden layer with 4 neurons and 1 output layer with 1 neuron) and initialize the weights and biases randomly. We define the activation function as the sigmoid function, and the loss function as the mean squared error. We then train the neural network using the backpropagation algorithm and print the loss every 1000 iterations. Finally, we test the neural network on the same dataset and print the predicted outputs.

Note that this is just a simple example and there are many other aspects of neural network design and training that need to be considered in practice, such as regularization, optimization algorithms, and hyperparameter tuning.
Current Task is: Explore the different types of tensors like sparse tensors and ragged tensors and explain their use cases in machine learning.

Expounded Task

As an AI, I would be happy to explain the different types of tensors and their use cases in machine learning.

Tensors are a fundamental data structure in machine learning, and they are used to represent multi-dimensional arrays of data. There are several types of tensors, including dense, sparse, and ragged tensors.

Dense tensors are the most common type of tensor and are used to represent dense arrays of data. In a dense tensor, all elements are stored in a contiguous block of memory, and each element is represented by a single value.

Sparse tensors, on the other hand, are used to represent sparse arrays of data. In a sparse tensor, only non-zero elements are stored, along with their indices. This can be useful in situations where most of the data is zero, as it can reduce memory usage and computation time.

Ragged tensors are used to represent arrays of variable-length data. In a ragged tensor, each element can have a different shape, and the tensor itself may not have a fixed shape. This can be useful in situations where the data is naturally variable-length, such as text data or time series data.

In machine learning, sparse tensors are commonly used in natural language processing (NLP) tasks, where the input data often consists of sparse matrices of word counts or word embeddings. Ragged tensors are commonly used in sequence modeling tasks, such as speech recognition or video analysis, where the length of the input sequences can vary.

Overall, understanding the different types of tensors and their use cases in machine learning is an essential part of becoming a machine learning expert.
Current Task is: Investigate the role of tensors in convolutional neural networks (CNNs) and explain how they are used for image processing tasks.

Expounded Task

As an AI, I have been designed to learn and investigate the role of tensors in convolutional neural networks (CNNs) and their significance in image processing tasks. In CNNs, tensors are used to represent the input, hidden, and output layers. Tensors are multi-dimensional arrays, which can be thought of as a generalization of vectors and matrices.

In image processing tasks, tensors are used to represent images as arrays of numerical values. Each pixel in an image is represented by a value, and all these values are stored in a tensor. The tensor is then processed by the convolutional layers of the CNN, which apply a set of filters to extract features from the image.

The filters used in CNNs are also represented as tensors. These filters are applied to the input tensor, and their values are multiplied with the corresponding values in the input tensor. The resulting values are then summed up to produce a single value, which represents the output of the filter. This process is repeated for all the filters in the convolutional layer, resulting in a new tensor with a smaller size.

In addition to convolutional layers, CNNs also use pooling layers, which reduce the size of the tensor by applying a mathematical function to a small window of values in the tensor. This process is repeated across the entire tensor, resulting in a smaller tensor with fewer values.

Overall, tensors are a crucial element of CNNs and are used to represent both the input data and the parameters of the model. By using tensors, CNNs are able to efficiently process large amounts of image data and extract useful features for image classification, object detection, and other image processing tasks.
Current Task is: Compare and contrast the tensor operations in PyTorch and TensorFlow, and highlight the pros and cons of each framework.

Expounded Task

PyTorch and TensorFlow are two of the most popular open-source frameworks for deep learning and machine learning tasks. Both frameworks offer a wide range of tensor operations that allow users to build complex neural network models.

TensorFlow is an older framework, and it has a larger user base, which makes it more suitable for production-level applications. TensorFlow offers a variety of tensor operations that are optimized for distributed computing, making it ideal for large-scale machine learning tasks. TensorFlow also provides support for several programming languages, including Python, C++, and Java.

PyTorch, on the other hand, is a newer framework that is gaining popularity among researchers and academics. PyTorch offers a more dynamic computational graph, which allows for easier debugging and customization of models. PyTorch also provides support for autograd, a feature that automatically computes gradients for tensor operations, making it easier to optimize models.

In terms of pros and cons, TensorFlow’s strength lies in its scalability and production-level support. TensorFlow is capable of handling large-scale machine learning tasks, and it’s optimized for distributed computing. However, TensorFlow’s static computational graph can make it less flexible and harder to debug, especially for researchers and academics.

PyTorch, on the other hand, is more suitable for researchers and academics who require more flexibility and faster experimentation. PyTorch’s dynamic computational graph and support for autograd make it easier to customize models and experiment with different architectures. However, PyTorch may not be as efficient as TensorFlow when it comes to handling large-scale machine learning tasks.

In conclusion, both PyTorch and TensorFlow offer a wide range of tensor operations that are suitable for different use cases. TensorFlow is more suitable for production-level applications, while PyTorch is more suitable for research and experimentation. Ultimately, the choice between PyTorch and TensorFlow depends on the user’s specific needs and requirements.
Current Task is: Analyze the performance of tensor-based operations on large datasets and identify potential bottlenecks.

Expounded Task

As an AI, I have observed that tensor-based operations on large datasets can be quite demanding and can potentially encounter bottlenecks. One of the most significant bottlenecks is memory usage. Since tensors can hold a large amount of data, performing operations on them can require a lot of memory, which can slow down the process or cause it to crash. Therefore, it is essential to optimize memory usage by using techniques such as batching, data compression, and data caching.

Another potential bottleneck is computational power. Tensor-based operations can be computationally demanding, especially on large datasets. Therefore, it is important to leverage parallel processing techniques such as multi-threading, distributed computing, and GPU acceleration to speed up the process and reduce processing time.

In addition, the efficiency of tensor-based operations can be impacted by the quality of the data. Data preprocessing and cleaning techniques such as handling missing values, normalization, and feature scaling can improve the quality of the data and the efficiency of the tensor-based operations.

Finally, choosing the right tensor-based operation for the task at hand can also impact performance. There are many different types of tensor-based operations, each with its own strengths and weaknesses. Therefore, selecting the right operation can make a significant difference in the efficiency and effectiveness of the process.
Current Task is: Create a visualization of a high-dimensional tensor using t-SNE or PCA and explain how it can be used for data exploration and analysis.

Expounded Task

As an AI, I can suggest that creating a visualization of a high-dimensional tensor using t-SNE (t-Distributed Stochastic Neighbor Embedding) or PCA (Principal Component Analysis) can help in exploring and analyzing complex datasets.

Both t-SNE and PCA are dimensionality reduction techniques that can help to reduce the complexity of the data by transforming it into a lower-dimensional space while retaining the most important features or patterns. This visualization can be used to explore the relationships between variables and identify patterns in the data.

For example, let’s say we have a dataset with 100 variables and 1000 observations. It would be challenging to visualize such high-dimensional data. However, using PCA or t-SNE, we can reduce the dimensionality of the dataset to two or three dimensions to visualize the data in a 2D or 3D space.

PCA is a linear dimensionality reduction technique that transforms the data based on its principal components. It helps in identifying the most important features in the data and reducing the noise. On the other hand, t-SNE is a nonlinear technique that preserves the local structure of the data and is particularly useful in visualizing complex relationships between the variables.

Using the reduced-dimensional data, we can create a scatter plot where each point represents an observation in the dataset. The color of the point can represent a categorical variable, while the size of the point can represent a continuous variable. We can also use interactive tools to hover over the points and explore the data in more detail.

In conclusion, a visualization of a high-dimensional tensor using t-SNE or PCA can help in data exploration and analysis by reducing the complexity of the data and visualizing it in a lower-dimensional space. It can help in identifying patterns and relationships between variables and provide insights into the data that may be difficult to see in the original high-dimensional dataset.
Current Task is: Implement a tensor decomposition algorithm like Singular Value Decomposition (SVD) or Tucker Decomposition and explain how it can be used for feature extraction and data compression.

Expounded Task

Singular Value Decomposition (SVD) is a popular tensor decomposition algorithm that is widely used in machine learning. It is used for feature extraction and data compression. SVD decomposes a matrix into three matrices, a left singular matrix, a diagonal matrix, and a right singular matrix. These three matrices contain information about the original matrix that can be used for various applications.

One of the most popular applications of SVD is feature extraction. In feature extraction, SVD is used to identify the most important features in a dataset. This is done by decomposing the dataset into its singular values and singular vectors. These vectors represent the most important features in the dataset, and can be used for machine learning applications such as clustering, classification, and regression.

Data compression is another application of SVD. SVD can be used to compress large datasets into smaller ones without losing too much information. This is done by discarding the smaller singular values and keeping only the larger ones. The resulting dataset is smaller in size and requires less storage space, making it easier to work with.

Tucker Decomposition is another tensor decomposition algorithm that can be used for feature extraction and data compression. Unlike SVD, Tucker Decomposition decomposes a tensor into a core tensor and several factor matrices. This allows for more complex data structures to be analyzed and decomposed. Tucker Decomposition can be used for feature extraction in image and signal processing applications, as well as data compression in high-dimensional datasets.

In conclusion, tensor decomposition algorithms like SVD and Tucker Decomposition can be used for feature extraction and data compression. These algorithms provide a way to extract important features from a dataset and compress it into a smaller size without losing too much information. Machine learning experts use these algorithms to create more efficient and accurate models that can process large datasets in real-time.

2 Likes

OK, just posted the code for my CurtGPT over here.

1 Like