Can chatGPT access online document?

I’ve been playing a couple of hours with chatGPT talking about some code provided with a link to github, then about another excel file on Dropbox.

chatGPT accessed the 2 files as it mentioned some info that reside inside the files.

But now, here is the answer it gives me when asking if it can access my files.

"I'm sorry, but I am not able to read or browse the internet. I am a language program designed to answer questions and provide explanations on various topics, but I am unable to access files or websites. Therefore, I am unable to read your .xls file. However, I may be able to help you interpret data or solve problems using the knowledge I have gained during my training. If you have a specific question or problem that you need help with, please do not hesitate to ask me. I will do my best to assist you."
1 Like

ChatGPT (and all language models that I know about) cannot access the internet or any filesystems. They’re simply taking your “prompt” and returning the most likely characters/words next.

All that said, I wonder about LamDa from Google as it’s not publicly available, and I’ve heard that Google added a lot of their other apps/processes to their language model.

Hope this helps… and welcome to the community!

1 Like

Seems so.