Brain Interface > GenAI > Recording Dreams?

Would anyone be interested in the idea of working to connect brain machine interfaces to OpenAI for building a platform/tools to help people think media into being? Please see this ArXiv paper I released recently and the abstract below.

https://arxiv.org/abs/2304.09858

I’m compiling a list of devices and looking for people who might know or enjoy learning coding stacks related to how the devices handle their data, via SDK/API. These are non-invasive EEG headsets and vary in capability and availability, but I’m interested in drinking Diet Mountain Dew and sprinting towards a demo; I think a less costly yet widely available and easily usable device may be best. Possibly Insight by Emotiv. I’m in the midst of applying to their dev license and exploring others. I could use help comparing and vetting api’s. Eventually all devices? But first a demo: quickest easiest. Hopefully <4 sensors but fallback on more sensors.

As you can see in abstract and paper the proposed method is to simplify text stream creation through Morse code because it is close to binary and amusingly someone has already vetted it with implants. And with a text stream magic is possible. There is some evidence of ML being able to infer letters so options are there.

Then the surprise and delight is to go from daydreaming media into being . . . into leaving a system on to cross over into recording dreams.

So hoping to gather and support interest and hopefully convince OpenAI and/or Microsoft to join in the fun. Vector databases and tensor search are unlocking memory for AI - tensor search is multimodal in theory, but Microsoft announced Kosmos-1, which might open up a great deal of fun and a kind of dream assistant.

I believe almost immediate fun could be had with existing tools and a quick sprint to typing or adapting some existing codebase.

There is also an intentional implicit joke on Elon Musk in the thought process, where if an implant researcher could be convinced to collaborate, the signal from it might optimize non-invasive EEG and render implants unnecessary. A light joke since Neuralink is seeking direct neuronal connections but still fun and helpful.

I can be reached here or on Linkedin and it would be fun to hear from you. My income dropped drastically after my contract was not renewed by SandboxAQ, and then I lost several clients who were spooked by potential recession. I may have found an income source for some base expenses and am talking to one potential angelic person. But I am interested no matter what.

Linkedin: http://linkedin.com/in/tekelsey

No longer a secret but keeping it somewhat on the lowdown. Pssst.

ABSTRACT

The present study proposes a novel approach to dream recording by combining non-invasive brain-machine interfaces (BMI), thought-typing software, and generative AI-assisted multimodal software. This method aims to sublimate conscious processes into semi-conscious status during REM sleep and produce signals for thought typing. We outline a two-stage process: first, developing multimodal software using generative AI to supplement text streams and generate multimedia content; second, adapting Morse code-based typing to simplify signal requirements and increase typing speed. We address the challenge of non-invasive EEG by suggesting a control system involving a user with an implanted BMI to optimize non-invasive signals. A literature review highlights recent advancements in BMI typing, sublimation of conscious processes, and generative AI’s potential in thought typing based on text prompts.

1 Like

Don’t you worry about losing meaning in this process?

Surely we don’t actually think in language, and whatever happens during dreams cannot be measured or even truly represented using a LLM

I think that there are people who would enjoy thinking media into being by day, and to see what happens at night. We walk and talk in our sleep and sometimes wake up with enough remembered insight to have novel ideas or solutions, without necessarily remembering the full scope of the dream.

It might be that recorded dreams could be reminders, and evoke our own memory, the emotion or senses such as touch or smell that might be in a full dream.

But even with partial scope of a text stream, it could be fun. And maybe with vector databases and tensor search and/or multimodal models, an external assistant might be able to help a person interpret things.

If dementia and forgetfulness develop, maybe such an assistant could help a person remember who they are and comfort them; even with partial capability by day or night it might help preserve a person’s life and memories if they wish. And an assistant might learn to filter things a person isn’t ready to face.

But on a simple level, I think even just writing from a dream might be interesting.

Or just thinking media into being by day.

Fun, and diet mountain dew? Enough said.

Thanks for responding. It’s an interesting idea and these things all have to start somewhere.
Dreams are fascinating.

I honestly look forward to seeing the progress. Good luck

1 Like