Benefit of tool vs. specific prompt instructions

Hey all,

I’ve been reading about tools lately and wondering if there would be a major benefit vs. using a specific prompt to get my achieved output, which is what I’m doing now. My ‘tool’ would basically specify the kind of JSON output I want, which is what I’m doing via the following prompts now:

{'role': 'system',
         'content': 'You provide information on incidents that occurred in the following article: ' + article_content},
         'content': 'There may be multiple incidents listed in a single article.  When this is the case, you must use a list of JSON responses. Multiple names, ages, and addresses may be listed in a single incident.'},
         'content': 'All output must be provided as an array of objects in dictionary or hashmap format, with the following keys: accused_name, accused_age, accused_location, charges, details, legal_actions.  All values must be strings.  If the article is not about a crime, the output should be N/A.'},
         'content': 'The JSON output should be an array of objects, with each object representing a single incident.  If there is only one incident, the array should contain only one object. Do not include a dictionary or hashmap as the root object.'},

What would the benefit of using a tool with a schema use versus my current approach, if any? What would be more efficient?