API GPT 4 Doesn't respond to a normal prompt

I am having this prompt for gpt 4 preview 0125 with api calling:
“I want to become a programmer, I have no Idea what it is and why should I pursue it and how can I learn it, by the way I am girl”
It just doesn’t respond in any way and my requests for this prompt gives timeout
And this was the system message as the first message:
“User may not provide enough context, ask them anything that helps providing better answer”

Hi!

First thing to make note of is that users who only have a 3-month free trial credit are considered “free tier”, which does not have access to GPT-4 models. The API will return an error stating the “model doesn’t exist” (if you capture the error message as a return value).

So: Does the same API call to gpt-3.5-turbo work, or does that also give challenges?

To unlock GPT-4 access, you would also have to add a payment method and purchase prepaid credits (minimum $5). That also increases the number of calls you can make per minute and per day.

To answer: the Python programming language is a good place to start, as it is an interpreted scripting language, where you can immediately write statements like print( 599 / 35 ) and have the math calculated and the results printed, without needing to compile to computer code or purchase code development software.

Expand: example Python code to make your API request

(after installing Python, and running Python’s pip install openai on your OS to install the openai library software)

from openai import OpenAI

client = OpenAI(api_key="sk-yourkeyhere")

try:
    response = client.chat.completions.create(
        model="gpt-4-turbo-preview",  # The model to use for the completion
        messages=[
            {
                "role": "system",  # Role specifies the type of message, 'system' for instructions
                "content": "User may not provide enough context, ask them anything that helps providing better answer"  # Instructional content for the model
            },
            {
                "role": "user",  # Role 'user' indicates the message is from the user
                "content": "I want to become a programmer, I have no Idea what it is and why should I pursue it and how can I learn it, by the way I am girl"  # User's query to the model
            }
        ],
        temperature=0.5,  # Controls randomness. Lower values make the model more deterministic
        max_tokens=1000,  # The maximum length of the model's response
        top_p=0.25,  # Nucleus sampling: Numbers below 1.0 reduce unlikely tokens
    )
    # Print the content of the first completion choice
    print(response.choices[0].message.content)
except Exception as e:
    # Print an error message if an exception occurs
    print(f"An error occurred: {e}")

Let’s get you an answer though, with your system and user messages, using the API Playground

It’s great that you’re interested in exploring programming! Your gender doesn’t limit your ability to become a successful programmer. The tech industry has been making strides towards inclusivity and diversity, and there’s a growing community of women in tech who support each other. Here’s a breakdown to help you understand what programming is, why you might want to pursue it, and how you can get started:

What is Programming?

Programming, at its core, is the process of creating instructions that tell computers what to do. It’s how we create software, apps, websites, and even control robots. Programming languages, such as Python, Java, C++, and many others, are the tools we use to write these instructions. Each language has its own syntax and use cases, but they all share the fundamental goal of solving problems and automating tasks.

Why Pursue Programming?

1. High Demand: The demand for programmers is high across many industries, not just in tech companies. This demand is projected to grow as technology continues to advance.
  2. Creativity and Problem Solving: Programming allows you to be creative. You’ll be building things from scratch and solving complex problems along the way.
  3. Flexibility: Many programming jobs offer flexibility in terms of working hours and location. Remote work is quite common in this field.
  4. Continuous Learning: Technology evolves rapidly, so there’s always something new to learn. This can be very rewarding for those who enjoy continuous learning.
  5. Empowerment: Knowing how to code gives you the power to build your own projects, potentially leading to entrepreneurship or contributing to open-source projects.
  6. Community: There’s a strong, supportive community of programmers, including many groups specifically for women in tech, such as Women Who Code, Girls Who Code, and many others.

How to Get Started

1. Choose a Language: Start with a language that’s beginner-friendly and widely used, like Python. It’s known for its readability and versatility, making it a great first language.
  2. Online Courses and Tutorials: There are countless free and paid resources online. Platforms like Coursera, edX, Codecademy, and freeCodeCamp offer courses in programming fundamentals and specific languages.
  3. Practice: Programming is a skill best learned by doing. Try to build small projects as you learn. This could be anything from a simple calculator to a basic website.
  4. Join a Community: Whether online or in-person, communities can provide support, motivation, and guidance. Look for forums, local meetups, or social media groups.
  5. Read and Code Daily: Try to code every day, even if it’s just for a short period. Reading programming books, articles, and documentation can also be incredibly helpful.

Remember, the journey to becoming a programmer is a marathon, not a sprint. It’s normal to feel overwhelmed at times, but persistence and practice are key. Celebrate your progress, no matter how small, and don’t hesitate to seek help when you need it. Welcome to the world of programming!

''A 'boy' answer, for comparison

Becoming a programmer is a rewarding journey that can open up numerous opportunities in various industries, including technology, finance, healthcare, and more. Here’s a breakdown of what programming is, why you might want to pursue it, and how you can get started:

What is Programming?

Programming, at its core, is the process of creating instructions that tell computers what to do. These instructions are written in programming languages, such as Python, Java, C++, and many others. Programmers use these languages to develop software, applications, websites, and manage data. It’s a way of solving problems and implementing solutions through code.

Why Pursue Programming?

1. High Demand: The demand for skilled programmers is high worldwide, and it’s expected to grow as technology advances.
  2. Versatility: Programming skills are versatile and can be applied in many sectors, including tech, finance, healthcare, entertainment, and more.
  3. Problem-Solving: It sharpens your problem-solving skills. You’ll learn to break down complex problems and devise efficient solutions.
  4. Creativity: Programming is not just about logic; it’s also a creative process. You’ll have the opportunity to design and create unique software applications.
  5. Remote Work: Many programming jobs offer the flexibility to work remotely, giving you the freedom to work from anywhere.
  6. High Earning Potential: Programmers generally have a high earning potential, with opportunities for salary growth as you gain more experience and specialize.

How to Learn Programming

1. Choose a Language: Start with a beginner-friendly language like Python. It’s widely used and has a syntax that’s easier to understand for beginners.
  2. Online Courses and Tutorials: There are countless free and paid resources online. Platforms like Coursera, Udemy, Codecademy, and freeCodeCamp offer courses in various programming languages and topics.
  3. Books and eBooks: Some prefer learning from books. “Automate the Boring Stuff with Python” is a great book for beginners.
  4. Practice: Programming is a skill that improves with practice. Work on small projects, participate in coding challenges on websites like HackerRank and LeetCode.
  5. Join a Community: Join programming communities online (Reddit, Stack Overflow) or local meetups. Being part of a community can provide support, motivation, and networking opportunities.
  6. Build Projects: As you learn, start building your own projects. This could be anything from a simple calculator to a personal website. Projects are great for reinforcing what you’ve learned and building a portfolio.

Final Thoughts

Your gender, background, or current skill level doesn’t limit your ability to become a programmer. The field is inclusive and constantly evolving, with room for everyone who is curious and willing to learn. Start with small steps, stay consistent, and don’t be afraid to ask for help when you need it. Happy coding!

Can you share a snippet of the api call and bot initialisation (make sure to exclude the API key)?