About FineTune model in openai.chatcompletion

How can i use my fine tuned model in openai.chatcompletion, will it accepts fine tuned models? If it accepts fine tuned model will it answer queries related to that document only?

Welcome to the community @mudumbasashank

This is a very interesting question.

Currently fine-tuning is supported for only base models which are accessible only via the Completions endpoint, hence the fine-tuned model will also be accessible only via the Completions endpoint

UPDATE:

Fine-tuning on chat completion models is now available on gpt-3.5-turbo. Here’s docs

1 Like

but that completions endpoint wouldnt be like a chatting right? how can I have that chatting experience with my own data?

You can use gpt-3.5-turbo as the completion model and have "chat" experience.

1 Like

can you please elaborate more, I fine-tuned multiple models based on text Davinci using the resources that open ai provides from structuring the data to having a prompt/completion model ready to use, now I want to have this chat experience in my model, I know for a fact that I need to switch to the gpt-3.5-turbo model to achieve this, but I still don’t understand the data formating aspect, in the documentation they said for a chat model we have to use this formatting:

{"role": "system", "content": "You are a helpful assistant."},
        {"role": "user", "content": "Who won the world series in 2020?"},
        {"role": "assistant", "content": "The Los Angeles Dodgers won the World Series in 2020."},
        {"role": "user", "content": "Where was it played?"}

here where I get confused, I prepare my data based on this syntax on a txt file, when I do upload it to the open AI CLI data preparation tool, it gives that the data is a prompt/completion syntax and that I need to remove the “role”…etc.

Am I doing this the right way or there is something else ?

This is the structure of messages parameter of the chat completion request, it isn’t going to work for fine-tuning. Only prompt-completion pairs are supported.

UPDATE: Fine-tuning is now available for gpt-3.5-turbo chat completion model. Here’s docs

1 Like

thank you for your time answering this message, really appreciate it !!

{“prompt”: “How do the different types of drawings work? ->”, “completion”: " I do not know Please ask me on Personal loan\n"}

this is the jsonl , if i set max token 500
it is using all the tokens 500
how should i stop the answer

for the above ,stop sequence is \n or \n

Same finding here: can only fine tune prompt-complete. Fine tuing chatCompetion is not available.

In the four months since this topic concluded, fine-tune of gpt-3.5-turbo has been made available. A model that must be accessed through the chat completion endpoint.