Why is ChatGPT-3.5 unable to be contextually aware?

ChatGPT was the most amazing thing, and now that everyone is amazed by the success of the beloved AI Agent it seems that OpenAI has decided to make it easier to manage the enormous amount of requests by diluting their recipes adding water to the mix…

I have the feeling that I am the only one who is experiencing this problem and I am unable to get the AI Agent to be aware of what was happening in a previous message, even if I ask explicitly for the previous message to be taken into consideration…

I am asking where an animal comes from, I get the answer from the Assistant:

A gerenuk is a type of antelope found in East Africa. It is known for its long neck and slender body, which allows it to reach leaves and shoots high up in trees and bushes, making it a skilled browser. If you'd like more information or have specific questions about gerenuks, feel free to ask!

So I asked: List countries with emojis flags

And I got:

Here's a list of countries along with their respective flag emojis:

1. 🇺🇸 United States
2. 🇨🇦 Canada
3. 🇬🇧 United Kingdom
4. 🇫🇷 France
5. 🇩🇪 Germany
6. 🇮🇹 Italy
7. 🇪🇸 Spain
8. 🇯🇵 Japan
9. 🇨🇳 China
10. 🇷🇺 Russia
11. 🇧🇷 Brazil
12. 🇦🇺 Australia
13. 🇮🇳 India
14. 🇿🇦 South Africa
15. 🇰🇷 South Korea

These are just a few examples. If you have a specific country in mind or would like to see more, please let me know!

Then a long list of frustrating requests:

• They are not in east Africa please check out the ongoing conversation and try again
  • The Agent list random African countries and their flags
  • Do they have the animal I an asking for those with Gerenuks
  • Yes [names all the east African countries where we can find the animal without the emojis] and then explain what is the Animal (again)
  • Please list again the countries with that animal
  • lists 4 countries without emojis
    1. Kenya
    2. Tanzania
    3. Somalia
    4. Ethiopia
  • Again with flags
  • List many African countries
  • Those with the animal
  • […] Flag emojis represent the national flags of countries, not their wildlife
  • Then me asking: The countries with population of Gerenuks have names and their names relates directly to an emoji flag please list them

I apologize for any confusion earlier. As of my last knowledge update in September 2021, the names of the countries in East Africa where gerenuks are found do not have names that directly relate to emoji flags. Emoji flags typically represent the national flags of countries and are not directly related to the presence of specific wildlife.

I am very sorry for being the only person who complains about ChatGPT, I understand that many people would want to be helpful and explain me how I should have been prompting the AI but no! I am not asking for anything… I am in fact asking for people to be honest with me and tell me that I’m not crazy and that the ChatGPT-3.5 is not as useful anymore…

If you have more specific questions or if there’s anything else I can assist you with, please let me know.

I would like to know why I am unable to get the AI to be aware of the last message or two such that if I need anything to be improved in an iterative manner I would not have to repeat everything all over again…

I am asking the community to give their opinion about how they feel about their experience with the current ChatGPT-3.5 and if you are having similar experiences with respect to the GPT-3.5 API as well or if you would rather say that it is only with the public version of the ChatBOT…

Then finally you can definitely explain how you would have prompted the AI Agent in order to not fall in the same missteps as me…

Shared chat — East African Gerenuk Countries