Why did my 'Web browsing' option disappear? (topic curation)

In my case I purchased specifically for that feature, so I do not think is a non-trivial issue, it will be interesting if somebody from OpenAI, could provide a reasonable feedback and some estimations, considering that this is going on for a while now.

First, I understand this is frustrating for you, and I empathize.

That said, you really do need to learn to moderate your expectations.

ChatGPT Browse with Bing is a beta feature. Features come into and are removed from beta all the time. You should never rely on a beta feature and you definitely shouldn’t spend money specifically to access a beta feature.

You should not expect any timeline for when ChatGPT Browse with Bing will return because, again, it’s not part of their product lineup. It’s a beta feature they have been testing. Though I would consider it extremely unlikely, they could simply decide to never bring it back if they wanted to.

So, just relax and know it’ll be back when OpenAI is comfortable bringing it back and not before.

@elmstedt

Meanwhile, you might be more or less correct, I consider that perharps you should really moderate your responses tone to others comments.

I think is a reasonable and logical request to receive updates and provide estimations around items that seem to be of interest for many people, hopefully somebody from OpenAI that cares about customer feedback will read this comment.

And for sure I am relaxed, I know perfectly what to do if I am not interested in something or if it doesn’t fit for purposes.

1 Like

I’m unclear what about my tone offended you. I was simply pointing out that you shouldn’t pay for something specifically for access to beta features and if you do you shouldn’t expect much by easy of communication about those particular features.

Is there an approximate schedule for Bing’s revival?

1 Like

Welcome to the community.

There is, as of now, no expected return date for the Browsing with Bing model.

2 Likes

Same here. I was under the impression plus users/buyers would have web access, plug-ins etc. I have no toggle for web access either. I do have code interpreter. Quite a lot of misleading information at this point.

1 Like

I think we all understand that beta products undergo unexpected changes. And we all understand the issue with chatGPT bypassing paywalls - if OpenAI hadn’t taken steps to fix this, it would have been at risk for huge lawsuits.

Nevertheless, I think the OP’s concern was the fact that this entire plugin was disabled, without notice and for many of us, it’s a critical feature and the cmain reason for paying for Plus. I’ve been using it for Vue and Nuxt dev and since so much has changed for those products since GPT-4 was trained in 2021, it’s no longer usable for this purpose.

Has OpenAI provided an ETA for when web access will be restored?

Not really

As of July 3, 2023, we’ve disabled the Browse with Bing beta feature out of an abundance of caution while we fix this in order to do right by content owners. We are working to bring the beta back as quickly as possible, and appreciate your understanding!

You can try one of the third party browsing plugins, or cancel until it is back if that’s your primary use

I think you are missing my point.

The Browse with Bing model is a beta feature. So,

1. By definition, it cannot be a critical feature.
  2. It should not be the main reason anyone has for paying for a Plus subscription.

If someone has chosen to treat Browse with Bing as critical and has decided to pay for a Plus subscription primarily for access to Browse with Bing, then I view that as an error on that person’s part.

I will direct your attention here: Service terms - Beta Services

1. Beta Services

This section governs your use of services or features that OpenAI offers on an alpha, preview, early access, or beta basis (“Beta Services”). Beta Services are offered “as-is” to allow testing and evaluation.

OpenAI makes no representations or warranties for Beta Services, including any warranty that Beta Services will be generally available, uninterrupted or error-free, or that Content will be secure or not lost or damaged. Except to the extent prohibited by law, OpenAI expressly disclaims all warranties for Beta Services, including any implied warranties of merchantability, satisfactory quality, fitness for a particular purpose, non-infringement, or quiet enjoyment, and any warranties arising out of any course of dealing or usage of trade.

1 Like

You’re welcome to read the service terms yourself if you like. I posted a link and quoted the relevant portion.

But if you can somehow read,

OpenAI makes no representations or warranties for Beta Services, including any warranty that Beta Services will be generally available, uninterrupted or error-free, or that Content will be secure or not lost or damaged.

and come to the conclusion that you should treat a beta feature as critical and it is safe to assume it will always be available, then you are reading that very differently than I am.

I don’t know why you want to invest the time arguing about this. Surely you must have better ways to spend your time…

If I use chatGPT in a way that web access is critical for me, then it’s critical for me.

Or as @jiaguado13 noted, you might want to moderate your tone a bit and respect others’ point of view.

Have a nice day - let’s move on.

1 Like

Would they be ok if you decided to temporarily stop paying for Plus? A lot of people subscribed for that feature. It’s not ok to stop it without compensate them.

I’ve been a ChatGPT Plus user for some time and I still don’t see the Web browsing plugin
Based on @logankilpatrick 's reply on 5/22 on the topic “Don’t see Web Browsing option - ChatGPT Plus” it should be available to everyone. Are there others like me who still don’t get access?

I do see code interpreter, but it’s not selectable right now.

1 Like

I went to help.openai.com for you, and typed in my search.

ChatGPT Browse with Bing is a beta feature (available to ChatGPT Plus subscribers) that allows ChatGPT to search the internet to help answer questions that benefit from recent information. We have learned that the ChatGPT Browse beta can occasionally display content in ways we don’t want. For example, if a user specifically asks for a URL’s full text, it might inadvertently fulfill this request.

As of July 3, 2023, we’ve disabled the Browse with Bing beta feature out of an abundance of caution while we fix this in order to do right by content owners. We are working to bring the beta back as quickly as possible, and appreciate your understanding!

I’m having the same issue, I subscribed to chatgpt plus specifically for the up to date web browsing feature, but i cant find the switch on the beta settings, i only have the plugin option.

This guy seems to have an answer why:

I am having this issue as well. I have access to the plugins and the code generator. However, the web browsing feature is just non-existent.
Screenshot 2023-07-18 at 10.47.52 AM

Browsing feature has been disabled until further notice

https://help.openai.com/en/articles/8077698-how-do-i-use-chatgpt-browse-with-bing-to-search-the-web

1 Like