What happens when deepfakes become cheap?

Back in 2019, Ben Lorica and I wrote about deepfakes. Ben and I argued (in agreement with The Grugq and others in the infosec community) that the real danger wasn’t “Deep Fakes.” The real danger is cheap fakes, fakes that can be produced quickly, easily, in bulk, and at virtually no cost. Tactically, it makes little sense to spend money and time on expensive AI when people can be fooled in bulk much more cheaply. [Source]

Fake text (and images) at scale?

2 Likes

Yeah, it’s more of a blog post (editorial) than a news article.

In GPT-3’s pricing plan, the heavy-duty Build tier costs US$400/month for 10 million “tokens.” Tokens are a measure of the output generated, in portions of a word.

This is old data too, no? Ah, yes, he sourced a Medium article from September 2020 instead of OpenAI’s current pricing. Ouch. I mean, Bezos did make Medium cool, right?

1 Like

Haha. Right?

I had to dig a bit for it (Bloomberg has replaced the story with a newsletter template for the main Google News result?), but here’s a sort of recent deep-dive on the story.

ETA: For the record, I do like that Bezos invested in journalism at WaPo. Maybe there’s hope for journalism in this brave new world…

I just dont like it. can we have an AI to detect deepfakes stuff? please?

I think this is a big issue that doesn’t get enough attention. In the US, we’ve seen how easy it is to fool thousands if not millions of people, for example Antivaxxers or QAnon believers. The things that they believe in are not even remotely close to reality. Deep fakes, be it text or images makes this 1000x worse.