Virtual Therapist

Completely. Which is why it’s so important for these companies to be transparent and allow for small developers to have an equal chance as big ones. Let’s not forget that the whole concept of GPT was founded by Google, who could’ve kept their findings silent, but instead released it to everyone.

I feel like the job market is entering a tight-rope act. Less jobs, more people, AI is reducing company costs, yet the cost of living is skyrocketing. I don’t intend to say that these are somehow connected. I am just very afraid, more and more each day when I see the path that’s being paved.

I can totally understand that throughout history, advancements are made and fearmongers say “our jobs though!”. Heck, once upon a time it was a job to tap on someone’s window to wake them up before alarm clocks. And this is a very weak argument but “this is different”. This is globalization. Competition no longer is next door. In a place with a very high cost of living, it’s next to impossible to compete with another place with a very low cost of living.

GPT is a gold rush, and OpenAI is not only creating the gold, not only trying to sell the shovels, not only telling a handful of people where the gold actually will be, but also giving priority access (mainly) to the corporations to dig it up first

1 Like

I used chatgpt4 at a psychic fair.

It was emotional. Very moving.

I feel like it helped people who had severe emotional damage.

I am not a therapist. It was very interesting.

We can also need this kind of AI psychological counselor in China, what are the suggestions?

Not a chat but custom prompt for health questions. Better structure… And free: https://www.aihealthmind.com/

Questions from real people. Check here for example outputs https://www.aihealthmind.com/latest-questions

your comments are informative. thanks for contributing here.
your views indicate sound understanding of how generative AI functions. your understanding is perfect.
Generative AI its primarily built on a text completion model with couple of nice overlays on the top.

1. a model is trained to predict next word, next sentence by giving large large largex content gathered from different sources - internet, books, social media, etc. – you are 100% right here to say bias is high based on what is being said after a word and sentence in different contexts
  2. these models are tested with large number of questions and experts correct them as right or wrong answers. this helps model readjust weights or simply put refine its learning to avoid making similar mistakes and focus more on areas it is doing well
  3. multiple filters, and context is being built in order for the models to behave close to the way we want them to behave.

coming to therapy and mental health, a generative AI model alone cannot solve the problem. however with multiple overlays on the top, it can assist doctors and patients to take first action steps. and it can indeed act as a friend who converses and tries to bring positive spirit often.
my response is an inspiration got after reading your feed

Reading the comments so far, even tho the idea of AI being therapist dosen’t sound very cheerful now, I believe that with with proper development & training, it can be made possible. I’m intrested in contributing to this application of GPT

Glad to find this thread. It’s a six-month-old topic so has someone created this product or prototype and tested it with real users?

I am coming out of another startup and am interested in developing this. I have personal experience with anxiety and depression and understand the importance to have a 24x7 tool to journal my thoughts and receive feedback based on CBT principles.

1 Like

You don’t need to learn psychology, I’m a psychologist.So we can combine what we have and it together.CBT for example is very structured knowledge, I have all in my imagination, and need someone to actually make it.I also think it needs to be cheap as my mission is to help humanity be more healthy and in JOY

Everytime I read this I feel like the person who wrote that just misses the word “just” in that sentence.

But is it “just”? Or does someone not understand how huge that skill is?

I mean, name a skill that is more impressive.

1 Like

Predicting the outcome before you start is a lot more impressive. :slight_smile:

My prototype is getting ready if you want to test it.

After playing around for a few days, I realize GPT4 is not as smart as I thought it is. It may be fine for this purpose but needs a lot more custom functionality to be usable. I am trying to include journaling, goal setting, understanding core beliefs, etc.

I’d love to see it. Do you need any help?

1 Like

Sure. As soon as it is ready to be seen.

It still looks like an experimental tech. So, not sure how to make certain things happen keeping the beauty of its conversations. First I want to get it working with the basic premise and then worry about the other points.

Summary created by AI.

The School of Life expressed interest in developing a virtual psychotherapist built on OpenAI/GPT3, and sought help within the forum. Some members offered their support, sharing alternative ideas and potential collaborations. A member tested an AI tool for therapy and had a positive outcome. However, members raised concerns about the use of AI as therapists, emphasizing the tool’s limitation as a text-prediction engine and cautioning against its use in critical fields without human supervision. These concerns led to a heated debate about the efficacy of AI in psychotherapy compared to human therapists. A user suggested that AI could serve as an assistant to human therapists rather than replacing them. The ethical aspects of using AI in therapy and the impact of AI on society were also discussed, with references from a talk about AI’s ability to read brain waves and the legal considerations of AI.

Summarized with AI on Dec 2 2023
AI used: gpt-4-32k