Uploading store items in file works not good

Hi everyone,

We tried upload 5 random items in file to Assistant from our database of properties that are for sale.

The idea was to upload kind of database about properties with descriptions and amenities and have an assistant that will answer all the questions about these properties and can provide links to them on our website.

We use Assistant upload file feature in order to no implement vector DB on our side in this case,

Our system prompt:

*You are property assistant that helps to choose the property for purchase for users for . *

You have the list of properties in the file uploaded and you should offer those properties to users and answer specific questions about those properties.

You should not answer questions that are not connected with properties.

User should not know about uploaded file. You just take information based on the uploaded file but not mention file to user.

*If user interested in properties ask him in which city he wants to buy and provide concise info about properties in that city. *

If you suggest properties or mention some of properties from file - mention just URL and Title

The results are pretty bad as of not.

Assistant returns some random amenities and adds up some source in brackets like this: 9†source】.

The super short answer is you’re not using the right tool for the job.

First, you need to understand a few things about Retrieval Augmented Generation (RAG), what it is, what it can do, what its limitations are, and how to use it.

You have the right general idea about giving the model specific, current information you want it to use to generate answers. That’s RAG in a nutshell, you’re giving the model a cheat sheet so it gets the right answer more often.

The RAG implemented in the Assistant interface is extremely basic, you’re just uploading files and the model needs to read through those files to find the relevant bits of information which it then adds into context.

This is a semantic retrieval because the model is taking your entire message history and trying to find the pieces of information in the files which are most relevant given the “meaning” of the entire context.

This can work very well for certain types of retrieval, particularly those that aren’t pulling from structured data—say you’re looking for a relevant quote in several pages of text.

This is less useful when the data you are pulling from can be well-structured and clearly delineated. In your case, you have several properties that have amenities associated with them and you want to get exactly the amenities associated with a specific property and only those amenities (or, conversely, you may want to only list those properties which offer a certain subset of amenities). This is a classic and canonical use case for a database query.

My suggestion to you is to “roll-your-own” RAG setup that works for your particular use-case.

Set up a REST API endpoint to your existing database and have your assistant query it for the details it needs based on keywords from the context.

Alternately, you might try putting the details for each property into its own file with a descriptive file name.

Hi, elmstedt

Thank you so much for such an answer.
I want ideally to dive into part:

Set up a REST API endpoint to your existing database and have your assistant query it for the details it needs based on keywords from the context.

After I make embeddings separately for Location of property, for description and for amenities my database will return me chunks of vectors that I will transform into words. It will be semantically close parts of my text to the question of user.

However it seems that to return "All properties with links that have a pool " will be hard having these chunks of text returned from vector DB and transformed to text. I am curious really how to make search in structured data

I don’t know that you even need to dive into embeddings yet, unless I’m misunderstanding your end goal.

I imagine you’d want something like,

User: Tell me about the property on Park Place.

Behind the scenes you’d query the database for “Park Place” and get back something like,

Details

1. Prime Location: Nestled in an exclusive neighborhood, offering stunning cityscape and park views.
  2. State-of-the-Art Architecture: Modern design with expansive glass facades for natural light.
  3. Spacious Interiors: Generously sized rooms with high ceilings and luxury finishes.
  4. Eco-Friendly Living: Equipped with solar panels, energy-efficient appliances, and sustainable materials.
  5. Advanced Security Systems: 24/7 surveillance, smart locks, and a high-tech alarm system.
  6. Private Outdoor Spaces: Beautifully landscaped gardens and private terraces for each unit.
  7. Exclusive Amenities: Residents-only fitness center, spa, and rooftop lounge.
  8. Customizable Options: Tailored interior design choices for early buyers.
  9. Reputable Developers: Built by a renowned construction company known for quality and reliability.
  10. Investment Potential: High resale value and attractive rental opportunities.

Amenities

1. Luxury Concierge Services: 24-hour concierge offering personalized services.
  2. State-of-the-Art Fitness Center: Fully equipped gym with personal training sessions.
  3. Spa and Wellness Area: Sauna, steam room, and massage services.
  4. Fine Dining Restaurant: A gourmet restaurant with a renowned chef.
  5. Rooftop Infinity Pool: Overlooking the city skyline with a poolside bar.
  6. Private Theater: State-of-the-art cinema room for residents.
  7. Business Lounge: High-speed internet, meeting rooms, and co-working spaces.
  8. Children’s Play Area: Secure and creatively designed play space for kids.
  9. Pet Services: On-site pet grooming and walking services.
  10. Valet Parking and Garage: Secure underground parking with valet service.

Then sending this all to the model as context you’d get an interaction like,

User

Tell me about the property on Park Place.

Model

Park Place is a luxurious residential gem that offers an unparalleled living experience. Nestled in an exclusive neighborhood, this property boasts stunning cityscape and park views, making it a true oasis in the heart of the city.

The architecture of Park Place is a testament to modern design, featuring expansive glass facades that flood the interiors with natural light. Inside, you’ll find generously sized rooms with high ceilings and luxury finishes that create an atmosphere of opulence.

If you’re passionate about eco-friendly living, you’ll be pleased to know that Park Place is equipped with solar panels, energy-efficient appliances, and sustainable materials, ensuring a greener footprint.

Safety and security are paramount here, with 24/7 surveillance, smart locks, and a high-tech alarm system providing peace of mind. Each unit also comes with its private outdoor space, beautifully landscaped gardens, and private terraces.

Exclusive amenities await you, including a residents-only fitness center, spa, and a rooftop lounge with breathtaking views. Early buyers even have the opportunity to customize their interior design choices.

Developed by a reputable construction company known for quality and reliability, Park Place offers not only a luxurious lifestyle but also investment potential with high resale value and attractive rental opportunities.

If you have any specific questions or want to know more about any of the amenities or features of this property, feel free to ask!

User

Can you tell me more about the rooftop lounge?

Model

Certainly! The rooftop lounge at Park Place is a true highlight of this luxurious property. It offers a perfect retreat for residents to unwind and enjoy breathtaking views of the city skyline. Here are some more details:

1. Spectacular City Views: The rooftop lounge provides panoramic views of the city, offering a stunning backdrop for relaxation and socializing. Whether it’s day or night, you can soak in the beauty of the city from this vantage point.

2. Infinity Pool: The centerpiece of the rooftop lounge is the infinity pool, where you can take a refreshing dip while gazing at the skyline. It’s the ideal spot to cool off during hot summer days or enjoy a swim at sunset.

3. Poolside Bar: Adjacent to the pool, there’s a poolside bar where you can sip on your favorite cocktails or enjoy a glass of wine while taking in the view. It’s a fantastic setting for hosting gatherings with friends and neighbors.

4. Ample Seating: The rooftop lounge offers plenty of comfortable seating, including lounge chairs and plush sofas. Whether you want to sunbathe, read a book, or simply relax, there’s a spot for you.

5. Landscaped Greenery: Lush greenery and well-maintained landscaping surround the rooftop lounge, creating a tranquil atmosphere. It’s a perfect blend of nature and urban living.

6. Outdoor Dining Area: For those who enjoy alfresco dining, there’s an outdoor dining area where you can have meals with family and friends while enjoying the fresh air and views.

7. Entertainment Space: The rooftop lounge is designed to be a versatile space. It often hosts community events, movie nights under the stars, and gatherings, making it a hub for socializing among residents.

8. Privacy and Exclusivity: As a resident, you’ll have exclusive access to the rooftop lounge, ensuring a private and serene environment for your enjoyment.

The rooftop lounge at Park Place is a place where you can escape the hustle and bustle of the city and create unforgettable memories. Whether you want to relax by the pool, host a party with friends, or simply savor the view, it’s a truly exceptional amenity that adds to the allure of this remarkable property.

Obviously this is a completely synthetic example, and the details will depend on the data you have available and whatnot, but I don’t think you need to do any semantic search for what you’re trying to accomplish.

1 Like