Update method for File API?

If I want an index with continuous writes and deletes, is that possible under the current API? From the docs the only possibility is to create a new File with the updated state using the files endpoint, and delete the old File.

I think it would be very convenient to have update methods for the file endpoint to address this use-case. Is this possible for OpenAI to implement?

2 Likes

That’s great feedback. It’s on our backlog, but not one of the top priorities. I agree it’d be very useful.

What’s your use case?

1 Like

For example, searching over chat logs in a session, or some index based on data the user is continuously updating.

1 Like

Thanks, these are valuable use cases.

1 Like

I’d like to add my support and encouragement to add this feature. In our use case we have a large FAQ that’s updated constantly through a wiki interface, and it feels very wasteful to re-process the entire knowledge base just to add or update a couple of documents. As it is now we have to choose between using far too many tokens, or working with stale data.

1 Like

@robertskmiles Without a timeline it’s unclear when the feature will be implemented. If you want a (potentially better) solution, it may be worthwhile pairing GPT3 with your own retrieval model, which gives you full control over the search API. DM me and we can go over some of the implementation details.

1 Like

Hey guys, @asabet @boris @robertskmiles , have you found any solution regarding this concern?
Since now assistants have a feature of retreival, can we attach a file with function calling ??