Seeking developer to co-create a GPT-3 written film

Hi there!

I am a film producer from Norway with partners in the US. And we are searching for someone who wants to contribute to our project since none of us has the necessary skillset to interact with GPT-3 in a efficient manner.

In my personal experience is better to reach out and seek help rather than trying to become an expert on everything.

We want to use OpenAI to write a script, then generate a storyboard to visualize what it wrote. Then we will make a film from it.

We are exited about what GPT-3 will write. Will it make a sci-fi horror movie? Will it make a romantic comedy? Action? Or will it make a whole new genre ?

These are just some of our questions as we journey into the unknown universe of computer generated creativity.

Please to not hesitate to contact me if you want to be a part of the first film written and visualized by GPT-3

Side project; Many people who works with film don’t have the necessary funds, time or skillset to write a script or make a storyboard. Maybe we can change that with this app.

10 Likes

Hi. Thanks for the reply. We appreciate it.

More information about the project, concept, partners etc can be disclosed in more private setting.

When it comes to collaboration details it’s also something I would be open to discuss with each one. I think in any partnership or co-venture it’s important to use the standard practices but even more important to talk openly with your potential partners about what everybody wants and need.

I hope this answers your replay, and hey, maybe we’ll see you in Cannes?

Thanks again.

1 Like

I would love to get involved in this, please feel free to reach out to me directly, you can contact me here :email: and we can have a discussion surrounding the finer details.

I look forward to hearing from you,

Thanks!

T.

2 Likes

Hi ! Thank you fir the replay and your interest ! Will make contact shortly

Lets contact via messaging. This is exactly the kind of application that interests me most, and I think there’s lots that can be done to go beyond the attempts to date in this area.

1 Like

I was experimenting with this in a project I called AutoMuse. Basically you have to start by asking it for a theme, a premise, a setting, characters and plot. Same thing you might do for writing any story. Once you’ve got the basic framework, you ask it to fill in the blanks iteratively.

Now that the fine-tuning endpoint is available you can probably just feed it a bunch of screenplays.

3 Likes

Hi!

Thank you for the feedback, this is very useful information!

Is there somewhere i can read about your project and experience on it?

Also feel free to make contact.

• Kroff
1 Like

Unfortunately I was still tinkering with it in Playground so I don’t have any code to share but I can recreate some of the work. Basically you must take an iterative approach since GPT-3 can’t handle very long tasks yet.

First, ask for some basic ideas and pick one.

Generate some story ideas for a movie in the following genre: ROMANCE.

MOVIE IDEAS:

1. Too many Loves to Love
  2. When You Wish Upon a Pizza
  3. God Puts the Stars Where They Are

Take that idea and ask for THEMES. Remember, the theme of a story is a universal truth or idea that speaks to all the characters, plot points, and setting.

Generate some possible THEMES for the following movie idea in the genre ROMANCE:

MOVIE IDEA: When You Wish Upon a Pizza

THEMES:

1. All in a day’s work for the pizza delivery guy
  2. Craving and craving deliverance
  3. Kids never want to eat their vegetables

So for summary, we already have the following details of the movie:

1. Genre (we decided that)
  2. Premise
  3. Theme

This forms the metadata for the movie, but all stories have three main ingredients: plot, setting, character. Since this is romance, it is probably a character-driven story, so we generate characters first.

Generate some characters with descriptions for the following movie:
Genre: ROMANCE
Idea: When You Wish Upon a Pizza
Theme: Craving and craving deliverance

CHARACTERS AND DESCRIPTIONS:

1. HUNTER: He and his girlfriend are unlucky in love when they take in a stray dog.
  2. GINA: Hunter’s girlfriend who finds it hard to make her way back home after she is injured and lost, but the stray dog is always by her side.
  3. ERNIE: Abandoned dog that befriends Hunter and Gina.
  4. JACK: Hunter’s father who turns his own business around to make sure his son has a better life after he meets Gina.
  5. ABBY: Jack’s girlfriend who gets along well with Gina.
  6. UNCLE FRANK: Rumor has it that he is Gina’s father.

Be warned, it’s going to get longer and longer now since GPT-3 is stateless. That means every detail we choose must be in every prompt!

Now that we have characters, we need a plot. This one looks like it’s going to be a gut punch!

Generate some very detailed plot ideas for the following movie:
Characters:

1. HUNTER: He and his girlfriend are unlucky in love when they take in a stray dog.
  2. GINA: Hunter’s girlfriend who finds it hard to make her way back home after she is injured and lost, but the stray dog is always by her side.
  4. JACK: Hunter’s father who turns his own business around to make sure his son has a better life after he meets Gina.

PLOT IDEAS:

1. Gina’s father (Frank) only feels that he should be with her to help her and she needs to choose between him and Jack, his step-father.
  2. Abby feels the same way about Gina as Frank does and pursues her for this reason.
  3. Hunter goes missing for a while when he is trying to escape the family life and ends up on a life-changing journey.
  4. Gina falls in love with Hunter as he helps her find the right person to be with.
  5. Gina tries to find herself but struggles with what she really wants for her future until she learns from other people in a similar situation.
  6. Gina leaves Jack for her long-lost father, Frank and they become happy while living together.
  7. Abby reaches out to Gina by being supportive and close to her as she decides what is best for her future.

Already, GPT-3 has forgotten about Ernie - the central symbol of the theme! So expect the quality to deteriorate from now on. This is now apparently a post-apocalyptic romance!

Generate some very detailed setting ideas for the following movie:
Characters:

PLOT:

1. Gina’s father (Frank) only feels that he should be with her to help her and she needs to choose between him and Jack, his step-father.
  2. Abby feels the same way about Gina as Frank does and pursues her for this reason.
  3. Hunter goes missing for a while when he is trying to escape the family life and ends up on a life-changing journey.
  4. Gina falls in love with Hunter as he helps her find the right person to be with.
  5. Gina tries to find herself but struggles with what she really wants for her future until she learns from other people in a similar situation.
  6. Gina leaves Jack for her long-lost father, Frank and they become happy while living together.
  7. Abby reaches out to Gina by being supportive and close to her as she decides what is best for her future.

SETTING:

1. High school-esque setting.
  2. The city that the characters are in is overpopulated with homeless people and drug addictions.
  3. On the outskirts of the city, the desert is inhabitable by all other living things than cacti.
  4. Abandoned homes from before the “plague” as people call it, are now used as hideouts for people.
  5. A restaurant is the scene of many heartbreaks and reunions from couples who meet and get along there.
  6. A movie theater is a place where couples put on the best show of affection and others try to be as happy as they are for this rare opportunity to have happiness in the city.

Obviously, this is becoming incoherent now so I’ll stop with this, but clearly you could write a screenplay from this. With the finetuning endpoint now available, I would create training data where the input are summaries such as this and the output are screenplays. Still, you are going to run into the major limitation of 2048 tokens, which means you have to fit ALL of this, somehow, into every prompt as well as the story that has happened so far as it generates the screenplay. I talk about how to achieve some of this in my book, which should be ready for release this weekend. Basically, if you want to generate an entire movie this way, the complexity goes up 1000x. You’ll need to treat each character individually with a “mind” and life of their own, record lots of details about the world, and then have them all interact. This is not practical to do by hand so you’ll need some scripts.

The biggest saving grace is that you can store all of these outputs as text files and use the Answers endpoint to help summarize the entire story while it is writing each scene.

4 Likes

Here’s what the prompt looks like in playground.

Basically, once you generate this much, this document becomes the “heart” of the project, the central document that all/most future prompts must refer back to so that it can stay coherent. Already you can see that it has confused Abby and Ernie! So this is no longer any good. Even at such a short length, GPT-3 cannot keep track of what it was doing.

Write the OPENING SCENE for the following movie:
Characters:

PLOT:

SETTING:

1. High school-esque setting.
  2. The city that the characters are in is overpopulated with homeless people and drug addictions.
  3. On the outskirts of the city, the desert is inhabitable by all other living things than cacti.
  4. Abandoned homes from before the “plague” as people call it, are now used as hideouts for people.
  5. A restaurant is the scene of many heartbreaks and reunions from couples who meet and get along there.
  6. A movie theater is a place where couples put on the best show of affection and others try to be as happy as they are for this rare opportunity to have happiness in the city.

OPENING SCENE:

1. Hunter and Gina are walking down the street where they see a stray dog.
  2. They suddenly fall in love with it and adopt it, giving her the name of Abby.
  3. They go back to their house and go to sleep peacefully, not knowing that Abby has given birth to many puppies.
  4. In the middle of the night, Hunter and Gina are shaken from sleep by a noisy dog.
  5. The next morning, they find that their house has been turned into a stray animal shelter with many new puppies running around.
  6. Hunter is distraught and unsure how they will be able to care for so many dogs, but Gina tells him they will be fine because they love dogs.
4 Likes

I am going to Burning Man, wanna join ? I hook you up we can make an awesome movie.

1 Like

Unfortunately the Burner crowd is not my thing. I prefer chill atmospheres in the mountains.

I’ve got a similar project going, and just got access to the GPT-3 API and docs. Let’s chat more? PM me (private message or email russellp@outlook.com) note I am also looking for someone who already learned the API to partner with (since I’m just starting to learn and haven’t built anything on it yet).
I’m trying the Startup School founder matching service but not many out there with GPT-3 experience not already busy! :wink:

-Russ

1 Like

Hi, I’m tinkering with it for music lyric generation and looks like it’s better to generate the next line or maybe the verse to trigger creative ideas rather than the whole song. Similarly it’s a much bigger challenge to generate a whole movie script that will probably be barely coherent.

I’ve also been thinking about a movie script / story generation. I think it would be interesting and probably more doable to step by step generate what will happen next, scene by scene. And maybe even make it a collaborative effort with the audience who can vote to choose from the possible next scenes.

1 Like

That’s a great idea (starting with music lyric generation).

Those can be a bit less direct and more ambiguous (“mysterious”) in the meaning and logic.

Exactly. Some lines sound so deep if you didn’t know it was generated by AI :slight_smile:

Example:

I’ll give her anything she wants
Though she’s got everything I need

1 Like

That’s a great line, does GPT-3 let you do like reverse look-up? See where that came from, if it’s novel or a direct copy of something it’s seen before.

If not, would be a cool feature (or a decision tree showing the top things it got the “idea” from)!

-RP

1 Like

It seems to enjoy copying stuff, “completing” it like a math problem - but probably some parameters I need to tune for more originally? I haven’t read all the docs yet.

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of

1 Like

Like @m-a.schenk has mentioned there’s no way to reverse look up. But the 0 Temperature will give more deterministic responses. For a lyric it might mean a response with the most common / cheesiest line :slight_smile:

At a high temp I don’t think there’s too much risk of direct copy from another song. Besides most songs have similar lines, so unless you have the same verse/chorus you should be fine.

2 Likes