Response and Chat issue with GPT-4o

Yesterday, amongst all the issues, I noticed GPT-4o was acting erratically.

For example, I am using it to edit text, I would post a prompt, receive an answer. Post a different prompt and it would respond, but it would also respond to the previous prompt in addition.

So, for example, if I was to ask the following:

In a brief paragraph, why is the sky blue?

The sky appears blue due to a phenomenon known as Rayleigh scattering. When sunlight enters Earth’s atmosphere, it collides with molecules and small particles, causing the light to scatter in all directions. Blue light, having shorter wavelengths, is scattered more efficiently than other colors with longer wavelengths, such as red. This increased scattering of blue light across the sky makes it the predominant color we perceive when we look up during the day.

Then ask:

Why is the sun yellow?

The Sun appears yellow to us because of the scattering of shorter wavelengths of light (blue and violet) by Earth’s atmosphere, combined with the Sun’s spectral emission. While the Sun emits light across a broad spectrum, peaking in the visible range, its light is actually white. However, as this light passes through the atmosphere, shorter wavelengths are scattered out of the direct line of sight, leaving the longer wavelengths, such as yellow, orange, and red, more dominant. This effect is especially noticeable when the Sun is lower in the sky, such as during sunrise or sunset, making it appear even more yellow or orange.

The sky appears blue due to a phenomenon known as Rayleigh scattering. When sunlight enters Earth’s atmosphere, it collides with molecules and small particles, causing the light to scatter in all directions. Blue light, having shorter wavelengths, is scattered more efficiently than other colors with longer wavelengths, such as red. This increased scattering of blue light across the sky makes it the predominant color we perceive when we look up during the day.

It may, or may not be related but after my session crashed today, after a protracted period of the above, I lost access to the chat I was using at the time.

Something went wrong while generating the response. If this issue persists please contact us through our help centre at help.openai.com.

The last ten responses from GPT disappeared, leaving a stack of my prompts shown one after the other.

In my other, working, chats, GPT decided to stop being verbose, answering without any explanations or fluff, forgetting preferences, settings and context from previous prompts. Switching to American English when we had been using British (even the prompt says to use British), switching form first to third person perspective and many others.