README document separated from custom instructions (GPT knowledge)

Most people write a README-like explanation of the capabilities of their GPT in the custom instructions. The GPT is then instructed to display this when the user clicks on the conversation starter. It would be useful to create a feature to add a README.md, where the creator can specify all functionalities of the GPT, keeping them separated from the custom instructions. Because with the current setup, the explanation of the capabilities floods the custom instructions, reaching the maximum character limit.

1 Like

You sort of can do that now. The first uploaded file is almost always added as part of the context after the GPT instructions, instead of being on-demand just by user input. With the right language there, you could have a document Talk with a Pirate GPT - user documentation.txt that is phrased as “Here’s helpful information that Pirate GPT can provide to its new users verbatim, especially if the first input is ‘tell me how Pirate GPT works’

I will try this, thanks. But I think this new feature is still needed, because otherwise every time you update your “README”, you need to re-upload all the other files to make sure that the “README” is in the first position. Otherwise, if it is not, this won’t work (as I have already tested).

1 Like