Need help with hello world

I signed up for the free account, and kind of want to upgrade, but first I want to know it actually works.

I tried the github for openai-quickstart-node linked off the quickstart and it just says this

“You exceeded your current quota, please check your plan and billing details.”

I tried modifying the pages/api/generate.js to have a model of gpt-3.5-turbo instead of the old davinci and that produced no different result

I poked around in my settings and can’t seem to find anything relevant. It just says i have used 0 of everything.

Any pointers?

Thanks

1 Like

its a catch 22.
i can’t have used any of my quota because i cannot make any requests, because every time i make a request, it tells me i have made too many requests and exceeded my quota. but i have made 0 requests.

still having the same problem. i have no quota because i have never used it. but it still says i have exceeded my quota. does the free api not work? im happy to upgrade i just want to know if that will solve the problem.

still not working

import openai
import os

# Set up your API key
openai.api_key = os.environ["OPENAI_API_KEY"]
print(openai.api_key)

# Send a prompt and retrieve a response
response = openai.Completion.create(
    engine="gpt-3.5-turbo",
    prompt="Hello, world!",
    max_tokens=10
)

# Print the response text
print(response.choices[0].text)

answer is as follows

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "cg.py", line 9, in <module>
    response = openai.Completion.create(
  File "/home/don/.local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/openai/api_resources/completion.py", line 25, in create
    return super().create(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/home/don/.local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/openai/api_resources/abstract/engine_api_resource.py", line 153, in create
    response, _, api_key = requestor.request(
  File "/home/don/.local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/openai/api_requestor.py", line 226, in request
    resp, got_stream = self._interpret_response(result, stream)
  File "/home/don/.local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/openai/api_requestor.py", line 619, in _interpret_response
    self._interpret_response_line(
  File "/home/don/.local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/openai/api_requestor.py", line 682, in _interpret_response_line
    raise self.handle_error_response(
openai.error.RateLimitError: You exceeded your current quota, please check your plan and billing details.

i have a free plan, i havent used it before… so how can the quota be exceeded?

i have posted my code for hello world here, and the error message, but then the “spam filter” robot deleted the code. its a simple hello world python script. hopefully it will restore it.