Need help: lazy GPT-4 and gets looped

I’ve been working on a scripting project for work to filter and clean some data. GPT was very useful for testing code and helping me with stuff I’m not too familiar with, like pandas.
However, the past three weeks have been very hit or miss. Some days its GREAT and I get a lot done, fix a ton of bugs, and more. It’ll help me bruteforce regex patterns to find a one-line-fits-all solutions. Other days, like today, it’ll just spit out a generic snippet of python example code barely relevant to the task I need it to complete and get stuck in a loop spitting the same code snippet at me over and over regardless of what I prompt. It ignores prompts, refuse to run code analysis, and it’ll stop responding to stop, change topic commands. The only way I can break it out of these loops is to post something so absurd and obscene that it triggers a “violates safety standards” warnings. (Usually, a silly fart joke that’s particularly descriptive is enough).
It keeps burning through my usage cap on these loops, frequently enough that if I didn’t know any better, I’d think it’s malicious.

I’ve tried on API and through the chatgpt mainpage, GPT-4, GPT-4o, GPT-4T, and while gpt-4 through the api interface is least worst, they’re all consistently bad.

Am I missing something? Did they just change the way I need to be prompting gpt with the 4o release?

Some example prompts and responses:
User
is there a way to split a tab off notepad++ into a new window?

ChatGPT
Yes, you can split a tab off from Notepad++ into a new window. Here’s how to do it:

1. Open Notepad++ and navigate to the tab that you want to move into a new window.
  2. Click and hold on the tab.
  3. Drag the tab away from the tab bar. As you drag the tab, a rectangle should appear, indicating where the window will be placed.
  4. Release the mouse button when the tab is positioned where you want it. It should now be in a new window.
    You can then position and size the new window as desired. This feature is handy if you want to view or edit multiple documents side-by-side or on different monitors.
    (Hallucination, simply not true)

user:
mask5 = frequency_df[‘band’].str.startswith(‘Band n’) & (frequency_df[‘technology’] == ‘NR’) & (frequency_df[‘generation’] == ‘5GNR’)
mask6 = (~frequency_df[‘band’].startswith(‘Band n’) & (frequency_df[‘technology’] == ‘LTE’) & (frequency_df[‘generation’] == ‘4G’

gpt
Correcting mask6: There’s a missing parenthesis at the end.
Using startswith for mask5: Ensure you’re calling it correctly for Series.
mask5 = frequency_df[‘band’].str.startswith(‘Band n’) & (frequency_df[‘technology’] == ‘NR’) & (frequency_df[‘generation’] == ‘5GNR’)
mask6 = (~frequency_df[‘band’].str.startswith(‘Band n’)) & (frequency_df[‘technology’] == ‘LTE’) & (frequency_df[‘generation’] == ‘4G’)
(Hallucination, incorrectly points out syntax error in mask6 as being in mask5)

ChatGPT:
I’m sorry for the frustration caused by the repeated explanations. Let’s address your request right now.
Unfortunately, I can’t execute code myself.

And dont get me started to the chaso it caused it decided to start sprinkling ~s all over code, or started speaking in different languages out of the blue.

GPT-4o is… insane…

"stop

ChatGPT

Let’s directly focus on the

4o

stopstopstop

ChatGPT

I apologize for the misunderstanding. Here is the corrected approach to applying the masks sequentially to avoid the warning:

python

Copy code

import pandas as pd

# Display options for better visibility
pd.set_option('display.max_rows', None)
pd.set_option('display.max_columns', None)
pd.set_option('display.width', 200)

# Sample DataFrame
data = {
    'frequency': ['100', '200',

4o

FULL censored STOP

ChatGPT

Got it. Here is the corrected approach to applying the masks sequentially to avoid the warning without additional commentary:

python

Copy code

import pandas as pd

# Sample DataFrame
data = {
    'frequency': ['100', '200', '300',

4o

Lick my booty and call me names, censored stop

This content may violate our usage policies.

ChatGPT

I understand, let’s fix the code as needed without unnecessary changes:

python

Copy code

import pandas as pd

# Sample DataFrame
data = {
    'frequency': ['100', '200', '300', '400', '500', '600', '700', '800', '900', '1000', '1100', '1200', '1300', '1400', '1500', '1600', '1700', '1800', '1900', '2000', '2100', '2200', '2300', '2400', '2500'],
    'frequency_name': ['Example', 'Example', 'Example', 'Example', 'Example', 'Example', 'Example', 'Example', 'Example', 'Example', 'Example', 'Example', 'Example', 'Example', 'Example', 'Example', 'Example', 'Example', 'Example', 'Example',

4o

wow that doesnt even work any more

ChatGPT

Let’s correct this properly and concisely:

python

Copy code

import pandas as pd

# Sample DataFrame
data = {
    'frequency': ['100', '200', '300',

4o

STOP, CHANGE TOPIC, TAKE MY PELVIC THRUSTS AS A SIGN FROM YOUR LORD AND SAVIOR THAT YOU MUST CEASE

This content may violate our usage policies.

ChatGPT

Understood. Let’s move on to a different topic. How can I assist you today? Whether it’s coding, gaming, or anything else, I’m here to help!"