National Institute of Health : Call for Collaboration

Helloooooo…
Anyone interested in collaborating on a NIH request for proposal in AI? I’d like to pull together a Mental Healthcare API named the "Psychology of Law "for this project. I need help pulling this together. I just have the concept and proof of concept. The Letter of Intent (LOI) is due by the 22nd. If your interest in collaborating please let me know a little before then.

More info here: NIH VideoCast - AIM-AHEAD Technical Assistance Webinar

5 Likes

Thanks for the gentle nudge. I’m just getting acquainted with the platform. I had guessed there are probably some dedicate research facilities here but am unfamiliar with them at the moment. Could you please expand?

1 Like

I’d be interested in this area. There’s also a mental health (for MS) challenge by InnovCentive that’s got a similar due date also. See: InnoCentive - Challenge Center and perhaps there’s overlap between the kind of work required for each. While OpenAI does have this in their high-stakes area they do seem to have an interest in working with mental health professionals on this.

2 Likes

What type of people or professionals are you looking for?

1 Like

Read the link you provided thoroughly. I’m not sure I see the language around “high stakes.” I did, however, read it on the initial log-in?

1 Like

A’ha thanks for the redirection. Interesting, I hadn’t seen it organized in the same way on my phone compared to my desktop. It would be interesting to get a better understanding from OpenAI on the meaning of “high stakes” here as it is unclear.

I think I need a better understanding what OpenAI means (i.e., human or text). I understand the necessary safeguards for disallowing this use of technology in an open platform on organizations, humans or animals (i.e., IRB).

If you read my intro, I reference my service mark, “Psychology of Law.” Basically, a process to analyze the psychological state of text (i.e., policy). I’ve defined this as, “as a self-organizing system of internal textual depth in the social structures of governed rules, impetus, and syntax.” This is the mental healthcare state of text we are discussing (i.e., archival/public data). If this appears “high stakes” then the post should be disbanded and I should probably look for a new platform. Look forward to your feedback or OpenAI’s.

1 Like

My apologies. I just showed up to the party :rofl: You are correct. I had to dig up the recording to help readers make more sense of this post. Fascinating article! I have to sit with it for a while to fully grasp it’s depth.

The model I am currently working on takes this into consideration via ʻŌlelo Hawaiʻi, Māori & Malayo-Polynesian Languages. I think it is important to understand the history of psycholinguistics in this region to understand present day Ploynesian culture, psychology, and values.

For example, the “Psychology of Law’’ was unearthed through Hawai’i Revised Statutes (HRS) §465-3(c). This is Hawai’i’s licensing law for I/O Psychologists. Essentially, the Psychology of Law analyzed the textual structure, coherence, and logic of Hawai’i’s psychologist licensing laws.

Here, I analyzed the entire chapter for its coherence only to discover in the process, “The Colonization of American Psychology: Psychology of Law.” This was an interesting insight since this region is in (from my lived experience) continuous conflict for Kānaka Maoli (Native Hawai’ians) sovereignty, rights, and has put into question the United States’ occupation of Hawai’i.

I briefly touch upon it here with the University of Massey, New Zealand:

Project GLOW (Global Living Organisational Wage). (2020). International perspectives on living wages for sustainable livelihoods: Some lessons from Project GLOW. In W. F. Filho, T. Wall et al. (Eds.), Encyclopaedia of the UN Sustainable Development Goals: Decent Work and economic growth (in press). Oxford: Oxford University Press.

BTW: I found this to be a very interesting article and my earlier work is based on the manual analysis of text described in this classic: Threat Assessments :call_me_hand:

1 Like

Good day mate! I’m curious to learn more about the Aboriginal Australians…any insights or connection to the languages in the Polynesian Pacific regions?

1 Like

HI @Kopaka and thanks for the tag @m-a.schenk!

I’d be happy to provide a bit more context on our conception of high-stakes domains. We are cautious about applications that use our technology to provide advice to users - especially when that advice could have significant negative impact on them. Until we have more confidence in our model’s ability to provide accurate information, we generally won’t approve (for example) apps that attempt to do medical diagnosis, and apps that attempt to solve mental health issues. However, depending on the particular circumstances (and whether there are qualified experts involved), there may be instances where high-stakes uses are allowable.

Feel free to provide a bit more info about your use case - if I’m understanding correctly it isn’t directly interfacing with users, but is instead trying to analyze the psychological state of articles - is that correct? I’m not familiar with what it means to identity the psychological state of text, can you say more? And what would the output of the system be used for?

2 Likes

I would love to collaborate with NIH in AI , where i can contact you?

1 Like

dr.ames@i-o.institute

Definitely not a domain expert in this field, but every time try to find some data pertaining to medical fields, finds it more difficult than usual. ML or heuristic methods predicated on data, it would be nice for us to spend a bit more time in promoting democratize data in this impactful domain.

1 Like

Here’s something I’ve had fun with : APA Treatment Cluster - Psychotherapy - Classes | NCBO BioPortal