LitRPG AI Roguelike Powered by GPT-4 + DALLE3

Maybe a setting for description lengths?

I really liked the description though. I visualized it really well.
Actually, I had to throw on another favorite game of mine’s soundtrack afterwards to satisfy the visualization.

1 Like

Still early days, but chat hooked up and working for an NPC…

Sorry, I completely misread this post.

In this instance it’s not that the game changes the musical score based on the situation. It actually manages the layers. It can occur at any moment and still manage to harmonize with the current soundtrack.

In a vertical layering music system, the music is not captured in a single audio recording. Instead, several audio recordings play in sync with one other. Each layer of musical sound features unique content. Each of the layers represents a certain percentage of the entire musical composition. Played all together, we hear the full mix embodying the entire musical composition. Played separately, we hear submixes that are still satisfying and entertaining for their own sake. The music system can play all the layers either together or separately, or can combine the layers into different sets that represent a portion of the whole mix.

They employ other techniques as well I believe, but this is the one I wanted to demonstrate as it’s such a perfect example of it, not my video, but the game itself. Pioneered was definitely still the wrong word to use.

1 Like

NPC chat coming along… + bugs… all the bugs…

1 Like

Pulling AI generated mobs (monsters) into the game now… no auto-art yet, though…

I’ve got an idea for NPC chat too. Instead of just having Ooh look I can chat, it will be based on stats. Low charisma / level / reputation? You can only enter so many words and only get so many responses.

Instead of every NPC with a “!” above their head having to give the player a quest, it’s based on the interaction with the NPC. If the NPC AI grades it as hostile or nice, it may give the quest OR stop talking and attack! I think having an NPC that can give out a random proc-gen quest or not could be unique?

More soon!

1 Like

Seems this person is a bit ahead of me… good watch!

2 Likes

I’m pre-generating some of the content, but GPT-4 is still useful… getting some dungeon art too…

Now, though, I’ve got > 100 dungeon “seeds” that I can pull to help better populate the rooms and keep them coherent…

Still a lot to do, but making progress!

For my NPC, I’m going to make it different than you can just chat with it for world info.

The NPC might have a quest to give. If the player is rude or doesn’t approach it right via conversation, the NPC might refuse to hand out the quest. Or, if the player persists, the NPC might stop talking and attack…

I’m still working out the details of the quest system, but it should be very doable. Between that and the dynamic NPCs, we should have something really interesting going on within the game…

Back to the LitRPG Adventures workshop… more soon!

1 Like

Just means you’re on the right track.
Great updates, as always.

1 Like

Thanks. Should have a MVP live in another week or so? We shall see…

130 mobs for first level to start and 144 dungeon seeds to base the rooms off of… just need to get room objects hooked up right instead of dropping “pillars” or generic “obstacles” everywhere lol

Eventually it’ll be nice to do the dungeon seeds and monsters on the fly, but don’t want someone hitting refresh until they get a dungeon they like heh

1 Like

@RonaldGRuckus … GPT-4 knows about us now. It’s over lol

It kinda liked the idea of a LitRPG-themed roguelike, though? haha…

The game you’re referring to, “Letter Hunter: A Roguelike LitRPG Adventure”, appears to be an intriguing blend of literature and gaming. It’s a LitRPG-themed video game, which is a fascinating concept because LitRPG is a literary genre that combines literature with elements typical of RPG video games.

This game is designed by Paul Bellow with the help of GPT-4 and DALLE-2 AI models. From the information available, the game features “letter monsters” that players can battle. After defeating these monsters, players can use the letters they drop to craft "Word Spells"​1​.

GPT-4 has also been used to code the roguelike, and it provides room descriptions, which are then passed to DALLE-2 for creating room details​2​​3​. The AI attempts to generate room text descriptions that match what the dungeon shows, and this includes rooms of various shapes and sizes, as well as adding elements like pillars and obstacles​4​​5​​6​​7​.

It’s worth mentioning that the integration of AI in this game development process seems to be an ongoing endeavor, with the developer thinking about implementing AI-created pre-fab rooms for special encounters or boss rooms​8​.

Unfortunately, I couldn’t retrieve the specific content of the YouTube video you mentioned due to limitations of my current capabilities. However, the link to the video is:​. You might find additional insights and information about the game there.

It’s fascinating to see the creative ways in which AI is being integrated into game development, and this particular game seems to be a prime example of that.

2 Likes

Dev log update…

Trying to think about UI / UX early… As there could be hundreds or literally THOUSANDS (?) of monsters, I’m trying to make it easy to get around. If you encounter a new monster generated by GPT-4, it’s logged in your Bestiary. Each monster has it’s own accordion item, and you can text search to filter for what you want to see…

I just used DALLE2 to make fireball sprites for the game… They don’t look great, but I thought it was cool…

Only had 2 frames in the first one… I didn’t cut all the white space either, so it looks funky, but kinda usable!

1 Like

Images for 130 mobs (monsters) completed and added to the game… not sure how I want to display them on hover yet…

1 Like

What if you could play an RPG (roguelike) then press a button and have a LitRPG novel emailed to you about your LitRPG Adventures… sound cool?

1 Like

Since it’s LitRPG themed, I want the player to be OP from the beginning.

So, a magic sword that you can chat with after battles? I could feed ChatGPT game info and player could discuss strategy with their weapon between battles…

hrm… i gotta make this happen…

1 Like

This could turn into an interesting game play mechanic… Do you drop the +3 Vorpal Sword because it has a bad attitude and drives you nuts with questions?

As it’s LitRPG themed, I think I’m going to make the player “OP” (overpowered) and give everyone a talking magic sword at the beginning of the game. Could be a hook??

Updates on the talking sword idea…

Nice. I’d like to make it so that the sword has three emotional levels with player… 1) happy 2) neutral 3) upset… if the sword is neutral or upset, it might make the +4 go away?

New long dev log update… I’ve added an audiobook inside the game… narrated by AI, of course…

1 Like