Just a suggestion to devs after playing around with ChatGPT

Hello OpenAI Team,

I have been using the ChatGPT app and recently attempted to play a text-based game using the platform. However, I encountered some limitations and technical issues that prevented the game from functioning properly.

Specifically, the game’s rules and mechanics seemed too complex for ChatGPT to handle effectively, leading to difficulties in initiating battles, choosing characters, and processing game actions.

I believe there is great potential for incorporating interactive games within the ChatGPT platform, but it may require simplifying the rules and mechanics to better align with the capabilities of the AI model.

Additionally, optimizing the user interface and implementing clearer instructions could enhance the overall gaming experience. I wanted to bring this to your attention and suggest exploring ways to improve the gaming functionality within ChatGPT.

Thank you for considering my feedback, and I look forward to seeing further developments in this area.

Best regards,
Brandon

Welcome to the community!

ChatGPT is pretty much just a raw language model. I imagine that a proper game would require some sort of hidden state that the user is not privvy to - that’s not something that chatgpt, or the llm on its own can do. What you can do is combine this technology with other things - maybe a state server, or another llm that manages the hidden state (like a dungeon master, or something)

If you have great ideas, have you considered trying to implement them with either the API (platform.openai.com) or a custom gpt?

Building amazing things with LLMs is what this community is all about, so if you’re willing to give it a shot, you’re in the right place :smiley:

2 Likes

Hey there Brandapink612,

First of all, you’re using ChatGPT 3.5. I wouldn’t trust 3.5 to help me with anything. It’s just not good enough. :face_with_peeking_eye: I’d rather use ChatGPT 4 for everything. Now the issue you’re running into, is probably the lack of memory. ChatGPT doesn’t have a good memory. After a while, it tends to forget rules, variables and other important stuff after x amount of text. I was trying to build a Dungeon Master with GPT4, but I quickly realised that it loses track of hitpoints, coins and other important stuff, due to its lack of memory. I haven’t gotten the “Memory” version of GPT4 yet, but hopefully that will fix the issue.