Integrating Chronological Awareness

I love that with the newest version of ChatGPT, you can have it search the web for relevant information. However, I noticed that I had to visit each link to know when the information was from. I found a way to have GPT display timestamps by asking if it could reference the dates from the articles it links to. This got me thinking about how conscious intelligences use temporal feedback to make decisions about information. New and reliable information often negates and takes priority over older knowledge on the same topic, just as our beliefs and assumptions are always being updated with new information and experiences.

Considering this, I realized how valuable it would be to integrate this skill into the ChatGPT model. The system could at least integrate the newest information chronologically based on timestamps and when the information was first introduced to the system. As for past data, historical archives and newspapers, which have clear publication dates, could be referenced without much tweaking. Additionally, references to people’s names, when cross-referenced with historic events and the names of places, could help pinpoint the earliest possible date of the information. For instance, identifying a mention of a prominent historical figure or a specific event can provide a reliable temporal marker. This method can complement other techniques, such as utilizing etymology (i.e., the first known date of usage of a word and the context/meaning in which it is used) to determine the general age of the information. Furthermore, analyzing grammar and punctuation, since not all writers adhere to strict standards, could refine this process even more. It might also be relevant to train an AI model to analyze and categorize writing styles to provide temporal context for the model to determine a rough time frame for the information. Having access to the historical background of a term or event can provide richer information for answers too.

Of course, a weighted system to handle conflicting information and decide whether the new information should take precedence over prior data is necessary.

The implementation of such a system should make interacting with ChatGPT contextually more relevant and accurate, especially for time-sensitive information. I personally wonder what it could do for the predictive power of the model.

Dynamically updating the information would also be valuable for queries such as “What is the weather in a specific place today?” If the system had access to prior data chronologically, users could ask for the weather on a specific past date or inquire about a historic day of the stock market. This capability could be valuable if there were some mechanisms for verifying its accuracy or was from a trusted source.