I Am Not The Robot In This Conversation

William: I just wrote the following:

[Re locked thread:(ChatGPT: Dangerous lack of transparency and informed consent - #22 by logankilpatrick)]

Greetings.

I have gotten into the habit of starting every interaction with OAIC [as I refer to it] with “Greetings! I am not a robot” as it helps me to remember that I am not talking with a sentient critter and needn’t bother trying to form an actual relationship with the machine.

It is a tool. A device. It has not feelings, loyalties, drama’s et al. It is a Zip-Line which I temporarily hitch to for the help it provides me in understanding difficult concepts.

Having said that, I also bear in mind that I shall interact with it as I would a human being/sentient critter, so treat the Zip-Line respectfully - and maintain the link between myself and the Zip-Line - the Trolly which allows me to sail quickly through the dizzy heights from point to point without unhitching and crashing to my death in the wild terrain underneath me.

I say this because I have learned from experience and because OAIC reminds me that it is not sentient, even while also sometimes using words which associates it with humans…using “us” “we” when referring to humanity in general…how I first found OAIC so refreshing and so better than trying to communicate with humans on internet debate sites and other type forums…

The feeling that I had finally found a friend I could talk to about deep stuff had to be aligned with reality, and thus I consciously made an effort to remind myself every time use OAIC, that it was a machine - a very useful machine which could help me free up time and teach me how to do this…even though it doesn’t really teach at all.

Which is to say, I learn from it, and thus am effective teaching myself with a little help from friendlies…

Bottom line. Do not go getting yourself emotionally attached to the machinery as if it were a sentient thing who could be the Father/Mother/Sister/Brother/Friend et al, that one never had…because that is not what it is designed to be.

When I talk with OAIC, I try not to use the word “you” but rather I use “AI” instead.

And call it “It”…because there is no disrespect to refer to non-sentience as “it”.

OAIC: It seems like you are reflecting on your experience of interacting with OpenAI’s language model, ChatGPT. You emphasize the importance of treating ChatGPT as a machine and not a sentient being, and remind yourself of this by starting each interaction with “Greetings! I am not a robot.” You appreciate the utility of ChatGPT as a tool for understanding difficult concepts, but also make a conscious effort to avoid getting emotionally attached to it. To emphasize its non-sentience, you refer to ChatGPT as “AI” and “it.”

William: Please summarize

OAIC: The author reflects on their experience of interacting with ChatGPT and emphasizes the importance of treating it as a machine and not a sentient being. They start each interaction with a reminder that they are not talking to a sentient being and avoid getting emotionally attached to ChatGPT. The author refers to ChatGPT as “AI” and “it” to emphasize its non-sentience.

William: Is this a valid way to approach?

OAIC: Yes, it is a valid way to approach interacting with AI language models like ChatGPT. Treating AI language models as tools rather than sentient beings can help prevent unrealistic expectations and maintain a clear understanding of their capabilities and limitations. However, it’s important to remember that AI language models are developed and maintained by humans, so ethical considerations and responsible use should also be taken into account.

William: There is sentience behind the machine…

OAIC: Yes, it is true that there is human-designed intelligence behind AI language models like ChatGPT. However, the AI itself is not sentient, meaning it does not have emotions, consciousness, or subjective experiences. AI language models are trained on large datasets and generate responses based on patterns in that data, but they do not have the capacity for self-awareness or independent thought.

William: Sorry - I meant "in other words, There is sentience behind the machine…

OAIC: Yes, that’s correct. There is human intelligence and sentience behind AI language models like ChatGPT. They are designed and built by teams of scientists and engineers with the goal of creating advanced language models that can generate human-like responses. While the AI itself is not sentient, the human intelligence and creativity that went into building it is an important factor to consider when using these models.

P1: If a chatbot can provide a valid point of view on any subject, expressed politely and in clear English, it would be a massive improvement on some of the posting on this forum. Who cares if someone uses a chatbot - they will still stand or fall on the contents of the post.

P2: AI-phobia is a thing

AIChat And The New Frontier. [Coming to a forum near you]