How to create prompts for generating item ideas, character backgrounds, and NPCs for TTRPG

hello! i am a narrative game designer looking for help with wrapping my head around making gpt-3 prompts for my purposes listed in the title. would anyone be willing to help me out? thanks!

1 Like

thanks for the welcome! i found the get started section and things are starting to make more sense-- its much more intuitive than i though it would be.

1 Like

Item idea

Item: Harlequin Crest is a unique Shako

Besides its bonuses to skills, life, mana and damage reduction, Harlequin Crest (often referred to by the community as simply "Shako") also bestows a very high boost to magic find, which can be boosted by socketing the helmet with an Ist Rune or Perfect Topaz.

Harlequin Crest is also fairly cheap to acquire via trade because none of the modifiers (besides base defense) are randomized. It is a good all-around helmet for nearly any class.

###

Item:

Character background

Character background: The Paladin is a battle-ready warrior for whom faith is a shield, and fights for what he believes to be right. His steadfastness gives him powers to bestow blessings to his friends and wreak cruel justice on foes. There are those who call the Paladin an overwrought zealot, but others recognize in him the strength and goodness of the Light.

###

Character background:

NPC

NPC: Cain was born in the year 1202 to Aderes Cain and a tanner as his father. His mother forbid him from taking his father's surname. As a child growing up in Tristram, Cain grew up on stories of the Horadrim, and considered himself proud to be "the last Horadrim." He imagined himself traveling the world, fighting evil wherever it dwelt. He similarly read tales of Anu, Tathamet, the Mage Clan Wars, and the Sin War. However, he regarded them as just being stories. When not listening to stories, he was out playing fetch in the fields outside Tristram, or stealing eggs from Grosgrove's henhouse.

###

NPC:

Notes

• Use \n###\n as a stop word
  • Don’t put trailing spaces on your prompt

Refs

2 Likes

You might try to give more examples in the prompts, otherwise the completion will try to complete the story / description instead of proving a new one.

Or find a dataset and fine-tune for that.

I tried:

NPC: Cain was born in the year 1202 to Aderes Cain and a tanner as his father. His mother forbid him from taking his father's surname. As a child growing up in Tristram, Cain grew up on stories of the Horadrim, and considered himself proud to be "the last Horadrim." He imagined himself traveling the world, fighting evil wherever it dwelt. He similarly read tales of Anu, Tathamet, the Mage Clan Wars, and the Sin War. However, he regarded them as just being stories. When not listening to stories, he was out playing fetch in the fields outside Tristram, or stealing eggs from Grosgrove's henhouse.

###

NPC: Cain's first encounter with demons was in the year 1228, when he was 15. He was walking back to Tristram from Grosgrove's farm when he heard a voice in his head. It sounded like a woman's voice, but it was not his mother's voice. This voice told him to find someplace dark, and to say the words "Mephisto" and "Diablo." If he did so, the voice said, he would be rewarded. Not knowing what to do, but this voice kept pestering him, Cain went home. As soon as he got inside, he sat in the dark and said the words "Mephisto" and "Diablo."

Nothing happened.

The voice told him to try again.

This time, Cain sat in the dark, and waited. He heard a scratching sound, and looked down. He saw a red glow emanating from his feet. It was dim, but it was there. He felt it. He rose to his feet and traveled through the town to the church. There, he found a demon, a blood-red one, with a great many eyes. It was the size of a horse. It was staring at Cain. It did not attack him, it just stared. As Cain watched, the demon began to shrink, until it was the size of a cat. The demon then jumped down from the church's roof and landed next to Cain. The demon walked up to Cain, and began to rub against him. Cain was frightened, but not too much. He said the words "Mephisto" and "Diablo" again, and the demon grew to the size of a dog. The demon then spoke to Cain for the first time. It told

Prompt: Generate a character background for a tiefling mage.

Result: Vasilis was born in a small town in the country of Andorhal. He had a happy childhood, but he always felt different from other kids. As he grew up, he noticed that he was drawn to magic and it was difficult for him to resist using it. He was eventually discovered by the local priest of St. John, who recognized his power and trained him for a few years before taking him to Stormwind to attend the Academy. Vasilis found himself in awe of the city, but also overwhelmed by its size. After some time, he was able to get used to it and even started to enjoy it.

This was on davinci-instruct, using temp of 0.69, Top P of one, frequency penalty of 0.2.

Mess around with temperature for creativity, but this is usually my optimum for generation.

You could get some more interesting results by adding more details, e.g. “sarcastic tiefling mage” or “tiefling mage from Waterdeep”. It’s capable of understanding most things a human would.

1 Like

thanks all for the advice. i am trying to follow it, but still running into difficulties.

i am trying to make a journal entry generator with the following prompt—

Date Written: July 18th, 1932

Author: Thomas R.

Subject: Forbidden Knowledge

Content: Is it merely an aberration of physics? Some kind of warp in space? Or just a topiary

labyrinth on a much grander scale? Perhaps it serves a funereal purpose? Conceals a

secret? Protects something? Imprisons or hides some kind of monster? Or, for that matter,

imprisons or hides an innocent?

/n###n/

Date written: