How do you make a rewriter prompt?

Hi,

I made a prompt for rewrite which takes up 1.1k tokens.
Is there another way on doing it effeciently?
preferably using curie or babbage
davinci is fine too

Rewrite a paragraph and rewrite to a conversational tone

Original: Sunset is the time of day when our sky meets the outer space solar winds. There are blue, pink, and purple swirls, spinning and twisting, like clouds of balloons caught in a whirlwind. The sun moves slowly to hide behind the line of horizon, while the moon races to take its place in prominence atop the night sky. People slow to a crawl, entranced, fully forgetting the deeds that must be done.

Rewrite: The time of day when our sky meets the solar winds from outer space is known as sunset. Swirls of blue, pink, and purple, swirling and twisting like clouds of balloons caught in a whirlwind, may be seen. The moon races to take its position in prominence atop the night sky as the sun moves slowly beneath the horizon line. People slowed to a halt, engrossed, completely forgetting about the tasks at hand.

Original: Here is the perfect system for cleaning your room. First, move all of the items that do not have a proper place to the center of the room. Get rid of at least five things that you have not used within the last year. Take out all of the trash, and place all of the dirty dishes in the kitchen sink. Now find a location for each of the items you had placed in the center of the room. For any remaining items, see if you can squeeze them in under your bed or stuff them into the back of your closet. See, that was easy!

Rewrite: Here’s how to clean your room effectively. To begin, gather all of the items that don’t have a home in the space and set them in the center. Remove at least five items from your home that you haven’t utilized in the last 12 months. Remove all garbage from the kitchen and deposit all dirty dishes in the sink. Find a home for each of the items you strewn about the room’s center. See if you can fit any remaining goods under your bed or in the back of your closet. That was a breeze, didn’t it?

Original: Oceans and lakes have much in common, but they are also quite different. Both are bodies of water, but oceans are very large bodies of salt water, while lakes are much smaller bodies of fresh water. Lakes are usually surrounded by land, while oceans are what surround continents. Both have plants and animals living in them. The ocean is home to the largest animals on the planet, whereas lakes support much smaller forms of life. When it is time for a vacation, both will make a great place to visit and enjoy.

Rewrite: Although they have a lot in common, oceans and lakes are completely different. Oceans and lakes are both bodies of water, however oceans are much larger saltwater bodies, whilst lakes are much smaller freshwater bodies. Land surrounds lakes, whereas oceans round continents. Both are home to many vegetation and animals. The ocean is home to the world’s largest species, whereas lakes are home to many smaller creatures. When it’s time for a trip, both will be fantastic destinations.

Original: It was July 21, 1969, and Neil Armstrong awoke with a start. It was the day he would become the first human being to ever walk on the moon. The journey had begun several days earlier, when on July 16th, the Apollo 11 launched from Earth headed into outer space. On board with Neil Armstrong were Michael Collins and Buzz Aldrin. The crew landed on the moon in the Sea of Tranquility a day before the actual walk. Upon Neil’s first step onto the moon’s surface, he declared, “That’s one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind.” It sure was!

Rewrite: Neil Armstrong awoke with a start on July 21, 1969. It was the day he would walk on the moon for the first time. The journey had began a few days earlier, when the Apollo 11 spacecraft launched from Earth on July 16th. Michael Collins and Buzz Aldrin were also on board with Neil Armstrong. A day before the walk, the team landed in the Sea of Tranquility on the moon. “That’s one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind,” Neil said as he took his first steps onto the moon’s surface. It certainly was!

Original: Canada is one of the best countries in the world to live in. First, Canada has an excellent health care system. All Canadians have access to medical services at a reasonable price. Second, Canada has a high standard of education. Students are taught by well‐trained teachers and are encouraged to continue studying at university. Finally, Canada’s cities are clean and efficiently managed. Canadian cities have many parks and lots of space for people to live. As a result, Canada is a desirable place to live.

Rewrite: One of the most desirable countries to call home is a country called Canada. To begin with, Canada’s health-care system is world-class. Medical services are available at a reasonable cost to all Canadians. Second, education in Canada is of a high quality. Students are taught by well-trained teachers and encouraged to pursue higher education. Finally, the cities of Canada are well-kept and well-run. Many parks and plenty of living space can be found in Canadian cities. As a result, Canada is a popular destination for residents.

Original: At the Outback Montana RV Park and Campground, you will have access to various water activities such as paddle boating, fishing, water skiing, swimming, kayaking, and other boating opportunities. The park also has spectacular views and modern amenities.

Rewrite:

2 Likes

You could push all the data into fine-tuning. I think that would save a lot of tokens.

4 Likes

I am not quite sure how do it. I read the documents but couldnt understand it due to lack of knowledge.
Do you happen to know a video guide?

1 Like

also, do you happen to know a way without fine tuning?
like a prompt example

1 Like

You can try curie-instruct-beta (or davinci-instruct-beta) engine, with a simple instruction to rewrite the text, and no examples.

if you have >100 examples, then you can try fine-tuning

3 Likes

I think this will be a good use case for using a fine-tuned model if you have 100 odd examples or more.

1 Like

I myself am learning the fine-tuning. I think @m-a.schenk could have some more insights into the process.

1 Like

Reading the rewrites in your prompt, it’s not completely obvious to me what the goal is - so it’s hard for me to come up with a good alternative prompt. But I’ve found that providing first the paragraph and then the instruction generally leads to good results. With davinci-instruct-beta, temp 0.7:

Prompt:

Oceans and lakes have much in common, but they are also quite different. Both are bodies of water, but oceans are very large bodies of salt water, while lakes are much smaller bodies of fresh water. Lakes are usually surrounded by land, while oceans are what surround continents. Both have plants and animals living in them. The ocean is home to the largest animals on the planet, whereas lakes support much smaller forms of life. When it is time for a vacation, both will make a great place to visit and enjoy.

Rewrite the above paragraph as if it was written by a very boring person with limited vocabulary.

Output:

Both oceans and lakes are water bodies, but oceans are much larger and saltier. Lakes are surrounded by land and support smaller forms of life. Oceans are home to the largest animals on the planet, lakes are not.

1 Like