GPT-3.5 Translation Issue: Incorrectly Translating "Accenture" as "安永"

Hello everyone,

I’ve recently been using the gpt-3.5-turbo-1106 model, and I’ve come across a rather perplexing issue. Whenever I attempt to translate “Accenture” into Chinese, GPT-3.5 consistently translates it as “安永,” when in fact, the correct Chinese translation for “Accenture” should be “埃森哲.” This problem has occurred multiple times and is quite puzzling.

I’ve made sure that the spelling and grammar of my input are correct, so it doesn’t seem to be an input issue. I understand that GPT-3.5 is a very powerful language model, but this translation error could potentially lead to significant misunderstandings and confusion, especially when used in business and professional documents.

I’m curious to know if anyone else has encountered a similar issue or if there are any methods to address or work around this problem. I believe this is an important issue because accurate translation is crucial for effective communication and comprehension.

If you have any suggestions or solutions, or if you’ve also experienced a similar problem, please share your insights. Thank you for your assistance!

Welcome to the dev forum @asher.yu

Here’s what I get:

1 Like

GPT4 is ok , you can choose GPT 3.5 and check the result

I made sure to keep the model same the first time. Here’s a wider screen grab

1 Like

ChatGPT explains two translations - two different company names:

I’m guessing they have similar “semantic meaning” so the AI can’t quite keep them straight in a language that Accenture vs Ernst & Young are seen in the same setting or context of training data. I expect the company names are rarely paired as a translations, but are just used independently.

Rephrasing gets you the answer – when we specify the input language also:

Summary

“Accenture” 是一家全球性的管理咨询和专业服务公司的名称。这家公司提供各种咨询、技术和外包服务,涵盖了多个领域,包括战略咨询、数字化转型、技术服务、运营咨询等。该公司总部位于爱尔兰,它的业务遍布全球各地。

将英文单词 “Accenture” 翻译成中文可以是 “埃森哲” 或 “安永”,这是该公司在中文环境下的常用翻译名称之一。

1 Like