Fine-tuning Beta Release

Hello @diptimayee,

I may be able to help you out. If you’re getting errors right at the beginning of that command, then it sounds like you may not have the Python 3.9 path set in your Environmental Variables so that Command Prompt will find ‘openai’ and run it properly. ‘openai’ is located at [Python install path]\Scripts\openai, as shown below:

Make sure in your Environmental Variables you have this:

Where ‘iadmin’ is your username. This will allow your system to find that ‘openai’ file and you’ll be able to use it accordingly. However, have a look at my post discussing the best way to use the ‘openai’ tool with Windows here. Basically, using Command Prompt and PowerShell is problematic with the ‘openai’ command, but downloading Git Bash or any terminal with Bash shell support in Windows is the way to go. This is because the ‘openai’ file is designed to work with Linux’s Bash shell primarily and since it doesn’t technically have an extension, using the ‘openai’ commands within Command Prompt and PowerShell will result in those terminals asking you which program you’re trying to open ‘openai’ with instead of actually running the command as desired.

I recommend Git Bash simply because as soon as you install it you can run it and start using the ‘openai’ command.

Lastly, I see you reference the path as:
\Users\username\Desktop\trial\local.csv
but you should really reference any file within quotations and ensure that you have the full path:
"C:\Users\<USERNAME>\Desktop\trial\local.csv"
so the correct command you’d run in Git Bash or any terminal with Bash shell support in Windows is:

openai tools fine_tunes.prepare_data -f "C:\Users\<USERNAME>\Desktop\trial\local.csv"

Hope this helps! Let me know if you run into any issues.

2 Likes