Feature Suggestion: Display Remaining Messages in 3-Hour Window

As you all know, right now there’s a limit to the number of requests we can make within a three-hour window. A VERY helpful feature would be if OpenAI would change the message that says, “GPT-4 currently has a cap of 25 messages every 3 hours.” to say this: “GPT-4 currently has a cap of 25 messages every 3 hours. You have 6 messages remaining between now and 2:15 PM EST.” Knowing how close I am to the limit gives me an idea of how many messages I should defer to GPT-3.5 (if it’s a question I think it can handle well enough). Thanks for listening and for considering this idea.

3 Likes

A great idea for writing a plugin. Good luck in your endeavors. =)

> def modify_request_limit_message(message):
>     # Get the current time
>     now = datetime.datetime.now()
>     # Calculate the remaining time until 2:15 PM EST
>     target_time = datetime.datetime(now.year, now.month, now.day, 14, 15)  # Set the target time as 2:15 PM EST
>     remaining_time = target_time - now
>     # Calculate the number of messages remaining based on the remaining time and the limit of 25 messages every 3 hours
>     remaining_messages = int(remaining_time.total_seconds() // 10800) * 25
> 
>     # Modify the original message with the remaining messages information
>     modified_message = f"{message} You have {remaining_messages} messages remaining between now and 2:15 PM EST."
>     return modified_message
> # Usage example
> original_message = "GPT-4 currently has a cap of 25 messages every 3 hours."
> modified_message = modify_request_limit_message(original_message)
> print(modified_message)

This code was generated by ChatGPT for me. =) For a start, I think it will be more than enough.