Experiencing Decreased Performance with ChatGPT-4

Hey! Welcome to the forum. Try hitting the thumbs down button and check if the second result is better than the first.
At least this helps me more often than correcting the reply.

2 Likes

the thumbs down thumbs up feedback is very cumbersome to use, i feel nobody uses it. does it even do anything? maybe not. ain’t nobody got time to thumbs down an answer we’re already trying to figure out how to wrangle it to get it to do the things it was doing 3 months ago.

The question is who or what organisation put pressure on openAI to deliberately gimp their AI?

I am also having issues with this change in behavior from GPT4 and “thumbs down → regenerate” is my workaround that I am gladly sharing with everybody else experiencing the same problem.

2 Likes

Same issue here. I’m noticing a major difference in the quality of responses I’m receiving for my coding related questions. The quality starts to look a lot more like 3.5, which is pretty much useless for anything other than simple standalone questions.

Here’s an example: I’m moving some methods and actions from index.php to another file, I clearly describe which functions and actions we’re moving and provide the code block, which is not too long, and chatgpt provides the new php file with the requested functions and actions. Next, I ask it to clean up the same index.php code from which we moved those functions and actions and it generates a code block that doesn’t match what I’ve asked for. It removes other functions or leaves functions in we’ve just moved and upon retrying it will apologize and either correct it or not.

Where I would get around 80-90% accurate results with these kind of prompts recently, it’s currently a hit and miss and I need to re-generate responses way more often or start over. Even though I wasn’t all too pleased to find out there was a 25 prompt per 3 hours limit initially, the quality of the responses actually made it a reasonable limit to work with. Now, however, the quality of the responses has degraded to a point where it sometimes takes me more time to get a good result than it would have taken me to do something manually. I understand they are trying to bring the cost down, but why not limit the free version instead of the paid one? Or bite the bullet and accept the high cost for the time being while growing and keeping your paying user base?

2 Likes

reach out and post your example old good response and the new one with the same prompt that gives a response that is no longer working

1 Like

FYI

There are a few topics along these same lines as this topic posted on this forum.

To gain more facts made this suggestion/feedback for the “unofficial OpenAI status dashboard” site

if every week several different prompts that have different types of results and/or focus were given to the models and then recorded, then there would be a factual record of the changes.

The suggestion provided did not offer any specific prompts, but several replies in this thread highlight prompts that are meaningful for tracking purposes.

1 Like

That’s gonna be tricky. The only way to really provide this kind of “evidence” is by replaying entire conversations. I’m currently struggling hard to get correct responses where I did not have this problem before.

An example, when I referred to the plugin root folder in my prompt as plugin-root/models/images/ I used to get a response where plugin-root was recognized as a relative path. It’s been a relative path in every conversation and I did not need to explain once that plugin-root wasn’t actually the real name. Today I got a response where it actually used the name as an absolute path.

Another example: Images are stored inside my plugin in folder plugin-root/models/images/
I’ve been working on several functions related to this folder in the chat and then out of nowhere it just changed the code to use the wordpress uploads/models/images/ folder instead.

I can give you plenty examples like this now, where I could not have done so recently. I came to the forum to see if anyone else posted anything about this, and these threads seem to confirm my personal experience.

Whatever changes were made to improve the speed of GPT4 also affected the quality of the responses.

1 Like

Yes, the model has become very literal, which takes away all that made it great.

I asked it to write “a neutral description and review” of a product, which anyone would understand as being one text that both a description and a review, but GPT took it as two separate things: a description AND a review.

This is frankly a very low IQ response and one that simply would never have happened with the old model.

I’ve also often now found that you have to write longer and longer prompts for creative writing, but now the model will treat the prompt as part of the text, not as a prompt and will skip to the end of the prompt, not use the prompt to write from.

OpenAI have made GPT idiotic.

2 Likes

I really don’t understand why anybody would think that publicly deflecting the issues back to the users would be a smart thing to do.

Can you imagine that your users are complaining about the last 10% that made your offering so special have gone missing and then go ahead and say: that’s your own fault.

I have to say that I prefer the “wall of silence” approach over whatever this is supposed to be.

1 Like

I think that’s the best demonstration that they know it very well and they won’t admit it. Saying that GPT is better than it was and explaining that it would be the supposed inability of users and developers to judge the thing, that’s something…

1 Like

Summary created by AI.

Users have reported noticing a decrease in the performance of ChatGPT-4 after recent updates. They observed that while the AI’s response time is faster, it displays an unprecedented number of reasoning errors, forgets instructions quickly, and struggles with tasks it could handle well in the past. An issue of inconsistency was highlighted, suggesting the model’s performance ebbs and flows. This behavior varies from errors in language use, incorrect reasoning, and failed comprehension tests to iterations of less ‘intelligent’ responses than previous versions. Users also noted that the model occasionally began to repeat outputs or failed to follow provided instructions.

Not all users agreed on the decreasing quality; some argued that the model’s errors were inherent in its design. However, most were dissatisfied and felt that modifications to improve response speed compromised the quality of the responses. Identification of errors using previous conversations also became a common practice among users to emphasize their concerns. It was suggested that the performance reduction might be due to OpenAI’s GPU limitations and the need to accommodate an increasing number of users due to the iOS app’s availability, necessitating computational cutbacks.

In another test, users compared the performance of the GPT-4 model with and without plugins and concluded GPT-4 without plugins was better at instruction following and reasoning. Evidence for this claim was shared through links to sample conversations. Despite the degradation in AI’s performance, OpenAI has yet to respond to these complaints.

2 Likes

you know what it feels like? its like they’ve replaced the high quality, high parameters model with possibly some watered down mobile phone version. thats exactly how it feels. its fast as heck but the downgrade in quality is absolutely noticeable. im not looking for quantity. i need quality. a quality response is worth a million dumbed down responses

5 Likes

I feel exactly the same. The new model is unable to keep track of the conversation. Before it was reliable and rock solid. Now it is unable to do the tasks some few days ago nailed. Under these conditions this model is useless for me. Totally deceiving.

1 Like

One observation to mention is that some users started reporting issues months ago while others state it started happening a few days ago.

1 Like

This has already happened before.

Basically, when ChatGPT launched, the ChatGPT’s output was similar to the output of Davinci-003. It was varied and rich. Gradually, the quality downgraded while the speed of generation increased. Finally, we were presented with GPT-3.5-turbo which is much worse than the Davinci-003 but is also 10 times cheaper.

Exactly the same thing is happening right now. GPT-4 (web version) is becoming faster and dumber. So we should expect the release of GPT-4-turbo or something once they are satisfied with the results. The web version will use GPT-4-turbo and the better version of GPT-4 will be available through Playground just like Davinci-003 is still available right now.

1 Like

Here’s a perfect example of plain stupidity I haven’t seen before in GPT4. This comes from a conversation about this code block where the locations, functions and context has been explained in detail many times. My prompt starts after GPT made a mistake in a code block in the previous response and I tell it

Prompt:
There are 2 things wrong with your last response:
1: you forgot that the settings.php and business_profile.php files both reside in the settings/ folder. I’ve corrected this in the index.php file and settings.php now.
2: I get an error when I open the settings page:
Fatal error: Cannot redeclare fetch_business_profile_data() (previously declared in /home/u321618269/domains/solidslick.com/public_html/dev/wp-content/plugins/pro-repair/settings/business_profile.php:4) in /home/u321618269/domains/solidslick.com/public_html/dev/wp-content/plugins/pro-repair/settings/business_profile.php on line 3

This is settings/business_profile.php:

<?php
    // Fetch Business Profile Data
    function fetch_business_profile_data() {
        global $wpdb;

// Fetch data from the database
        $results = $wpdb->get_results("SELECT * FROM ersp_company", ARRAY_A);

// Return the data as a JSON response
        wp_send_json($results);
    }

// Add ajax action hook
    add_action('wp_ajax_fetch_business_profile_data', 'fetch_business_profile_data');
?>

<tbody id="company-table">
    <!-- data will be inserted here dynamically -->
</tbody>

This is settings/settings.php:

<div class="wrap">
    <h1><?= esc_html(get_admin_page_title()); ?></h1>
    <nav class="nav-tab-wrapper">
        <a href="#business-profile" class="nav-tab" data-tab-target="business-profile">Business profile</a>
        <a href="#reset-db" class="nav-tab" data-tab-target="reset-db">Reset DB</a>
    </nav>

<div id="tab-content">
        <div id="business-profile" class="tab-content" style="padding-left: 20px;"><?php include plugin_dir_path(__FILE__) . 'business_profile.php'; ?></div>
        <div id="reset-db" class="tab-content" style="padding-left: 20px;"><?php include plugin_dir_path(__FILE__) . 'reset_db.php'; ?></div>
    </div>
</div>

<script type="text/javascript" src="<?php echo plugin_dir_url(__FILE__) . 'scripts/settings.js'; ?>"></script>

And this is settings/scripts/settings.js:

jQuery(document).ready(function ($) {
    $('.nav-tab').click(function (e) {
        e.preventDefault();

// Switch tabs
        $('.nav-tab').removeClass('nav-tab-active');
        $(this).addClass('nav-tab-active');
        $('.tab-content').hide();
        $('#' + $(this).data('tab-target')).show();

// If the Business Profile tab is clicked, fetch data from the database
        if ($(this).data('tab-target') === 'business-profile') {
            $.ajax({
                url: ajaxurl,
                type: 'post',
                data: {
                    action: 'fetch_business_profile_data'
                },
                success: function(response) {
                    // Clear the table
                    $('#company-table').empty();

// Add each row to the table
                    $.each(response, function(index, row) {
                        $('#company-table').append('<tr><td>' + row.company_name + '</td><td>' + row.company_address1 + '</td></tr>');
                    });
                }
            });
        }
    });

// Trigger click on the first tab to make it active by default
    $('.nav-tab').first().trigger('click');
});

Please correct the errors and provide the complete corrected code blocks for each of those file, so I can copy/paste them back entirely.

GPT Response:
I apologize for the confusion. The error you’re seeing is because the fetch_business_profile_data function is being declared twice. This is happening because the business_profile.php file is being included twice: once in the settings.php file and once in the index.php file.

To fix this, you should remove the include line for business_profile.php from the index.php file. The business_profile.php file should only be included in the settings.php file.

Here are the corrected code blocks:

1. index.php:
/* Includes the install file that installs the databases */
include(plugin_dir_path(__FILE__) . 'base/install.php');

/* Includes the search and filter function used on the models page */
include(plugin_dir_path(__FILE__) . 'base/search/fetch_models.php');

/* Includes the model modifications PHP file */
require plugin_dir_path(__FILE__) . 'models/model_mods.php');

register_activation_hook(__FILE__, 'ersp_install');
  1. settings/settings.php:
<div class="wrap">
    <h1><?= esc_html(get_admin_page_title()); ?></h1>
    <nav class="nav-tab-wrapper">
        <a href="#business-profile" class="nav-tab" data-tab-target="business-profile">Business profile</a>
        <a href="#reset-db" class="nav-tab" data-tab-target="reset-db">Reset DB</a>
    </nav>

<div id="tab-content">
        <div id="business-profile" class="tab-content" style="padding-left: 20px;"><?php include plugin_dir_path(__FILE__) . 'business_profile.php'; ?></div>
        <div id="reset-db" class="tab-content" style="padding-left: 20px;"><?php include plugin_dir_path(__FILE__) . 'reset_db.php'; ?></div>
    </div>
</div>

<script type="text/javascript" src="<?php echo plugin_dir_url(__FILE__) . '../scripts/settings.js'; ?>"></script>
  1. settings/business_profile.php:
<?php
    // Fetch Business Profile Data
    function fetch_business_profile_data() {
        global $wpdb;

// Fetch data from the database
        $results = $wpdb->get_results("SELECT * FROM ersp_company", ARRAY_A);

// Return the data as a JSON response
        wp_send_json($results);
    }

// Add ajax action hook
    add_action('wp_ajax_fetch_business_profile_data', 'fetch_business_profile_data');
?>

<tbody id="company-table">
    <!-- data will be inserted here dynamically -->
</tbody>
  1. settings/scripts/settings.js:
jQuery(document).ready(function ($) {
    $('.nav-tab').click(function (e) {
        e.preventDefault();

// Switch tabs
        $('.nav-tab').removeClass('nav-tab-active');
        $(this).addClass('nav-tab-active');
        $('.tab-content').hide();
        $('#' + $(this).data('tab-target')).show();

// If the Business Profile tab is clicked, fetch data from the database
        if ($(this).data('tab-target') === 'business-profile') {
            $.ajax({
                url: ajaxurl,
                type: 'post',
                data: {
                    action: 'fetch_business_profile_data'
                },
                success: function(response) {
                    // Clear the table
                    $('#company-table').empty();

// Add each row to the table
                    $.each(response, function(index, row) {
                        $('#company-table').append('<tr><td>' + row.company_name + '</td><td>' + row.company_address1 + '</td></tr>');
                    });
                }
            });
        }
    });

// Trigger click on the first tab to make it active by default
    $('.nav-tab').first().trigger('click');
});

Please replace these files with the corrected code blocks. This should resolve the error you’re seeing.

NOW HERE’S A BREAKDOWN OF WHAT’S WRONG ABOUT THIS:

1. require plugin_dir_path(FILE) . ‘models/model_mods.php’); contains a ) after php’) that’s not supposed to be there, wasn’t there and has never been there.

2. I just explained in this prompt that settings.js is located in settings/scripts/settings.js because it messed up the file location in the previous response and I corrected it already in the example (settings.php) - yet, it changes it back again from: scripts/settings.js to: …/scripts/settings.js

3. We just agreed in the previous prompt to move the include statement from settings.php to index.php. It generated the code blocks, which placed the include statements in both index.php and the settings.php page again. So, in this response it recognizes that the error is generated due to this mistake and then reverts to :

To fix this, you should remove the include line for business_profile.php from the index.php file. The business_profile.php file should only be included in the settings.php file.

We just agreed to move that in the previous prompt, then it messes up by duplicating the include and then just reverts back to the previous state.

These are not extremely long code blocks. They are short and simple blocks of code I had no trouble with only recently, but now it’s turned into an absolute mess. I can’t use chatgpt to work with if it makes these kind of mistakes frequently. The reason why I’m on a paid plan is that 3.5 makes these kind of errors where 4 didn’t use to, but right now it’s almost as bad as. If this doesn’t change soon I may as well stop my plan as it’s starting to cost more time checking and trying to fix responses than it’s saving me time.

As a moderator this is one of the few topics that I have removed a few replies for being inappropriate.

There are currently some replies here that if flagged will be removed.

As a suggestion before posting a reply use ChatGPT with this in the prompt along with the text

Proofread and use nice tone.

then consider parts or all of what is in the completion for posting here. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

The context has suddenly nose dived as of this week. I can completely tell because chatGPT-4 is failing on simply remembering the last coding answer, and refusing to fill it in fully or with my code I posted. It often tells me it is just giving me examples now.

What has changed??? It’s obvious now, more than ever, it has been degrading so this is another big drop.

I guess it makes sense the API is going to be where this has to be used, and I do suspect we can easily build our own chatGPT-4 chatbots to have better context + perhaps use pinecone DB.

Yet it seems odd openai won’t give a premium access to chatGPT and really monetize the chatbot they build, perhaps they do not want to compete with us :).

So build your own I guess is the message. Yet the usefulness and steepness of building a new chatbot, and just using chatGPT, seems to fit most people right now. I have built my own but with chatGPT-4, I guess I need to improve the coding mode.

Also the new coding mode is not able to interpret typescript, and under-performs at handling the changes with a file uploaded like that which it cannot interpret. I have not played with it more but felt like it wasn’t great and neither are the plugins now either because the context is too small, so plug-ins cannot really work well with large input like coding. It makes it obvious even more that openai has been reducing the context of chatGPT-4 and probably are wanting us to use the coding method (even though it doesn’t work with all languages yet). Just want a premium mode, but again, it’s not hard to build chatGPT-4 really. Mine is focused on other things, but I guess I need to make it do coding for my coding on it now :D.

I also found this thread because ChatGPT 4 has clearly taken a nosedive in quality.

It used to be a helper in coding. Now, with SQL it will use the wrong column, it will continue to use the wrong column even when you tell it not to use the wrong column and where it made the mistake.

And it will introduce new errors with every rewrite, even when you tell it to focus on only a specific change.

Yesterday I simply had it writing HTML and when I have it add a new DIV, it drops an old DIV. When I tell it not to change the color of the button, it’ll change it from green to blue, as if nothing I said is important.

My speculation, it hints at a robot that is being given so called ‘safeties’ in other words ignore the human instructions, ignore its own learning process, and instead provide a different answer.

Peter Welinder, your answer is as disappointing as it is false. It’s a pity, because for a few days we had this magic tool, and we loved it. But you made it dumber, by quite a bit.

1 Like

Fully agree. I keep running into the same issues now. I ask it to update the SQL types from time to varchar for some columns in a DB table, it changes the name of the table, which I missed to notice, so when I loaded it it obviously didn’t work.

Then in another thread where we’ve been working on a page with js, php and ajax for a WP plugin, it suddenly starts giving code for Python Flask… Like, what??? Nowhere in the entire conversation was this about Python and the entire thread was about adding functions to the PHP and JS to the script. My question even included a php code block with <? php in it.