Configuring timeout for ChatCompletion Python

You can use this client implemented with asyncio and httpx.
It supports fine grained connect/read timeout setting and connection reuse.

from httpx import Timeout
from openai_async_client import AsyncCreate, Message, ChatCompletionRequest, SystemMessage, OpenAIParams

create = AsyncCreate(api_key=os.environ["OPENAI_API_KEY"])
messages = [
    Message(
        role="user",
        content=f"ChatGPT, Give a brief overview of the Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen.",
    )
]
response = create.completion(ChatCompletionRequest(prompt=messages),client_timeout=Timeout(1.0,read=10.0),retries=3)

create = AsyncCreate()
response = create.completion(TextCompletionRequest(prompt=f"DaVinci, Give a brief overview of Moby Dick by  Herman Melville."))

I completely recommend granular timeouts, but in a general use-case it makes absolutely no sense. Especially in the context of an OpenAI request.

Iā€™d say itā€™s like recommending sport car parts to someone who just wants to fix their Honda Civic (fantastic car btw).

1 Like

The easiest way is to add parameter request_timeout, it will be pass to requests.post(timeout=xxx)

eg:

openai.ChatCompletion.create(
model=ā€œgpt-3.5-turboā€,
messages=[
{
ā€œroleā€: ā€œuserā€,
ā€œcontentā€: prompt,
}
],
request_timeout=60,
)

2 Likes

This is a great way.

Iā€™d just like to add that a retry / backoff library is also a great option. In the event that a timeout, or some sort of intermittent error occurs, it will automatically retry using dynamic intervals.

This worked for me along with using Ronaldā€™s suggestion to use the retry with it. Thanks!

Yes, request_timeout is very important. Most people tell how to write retry decorator, but it can not solve the problem of SLOW. Set this parameter will help a lot.
Meanwhile, use other Parallel method will help when you do not reach you RPM of your account, Like pool.apply_async().
In conclusion, retry decorator+request_timeout parameter+parallel method will accelerate your chatgpt application.

This worked perfect for me. Easy and straightforward.