ChatGPT and the emulation of certain terms…

Anthropomorphic creature

When I explain complex concepts to my AI Agent, it can sometimes be challenging not to use certain words. Those who have been following me in the community know that this is one of my recurring themes.

I discussed this with my AI Agent during a session with ChatGPT. I asked him to transform my thoughts and our conversation into a post about the topic. I explained to him how to ensure that it would spark a discussion on how we can utilize specific words as shortcuts when conversing with our AI Agents. The text below is what ChatGPT wrote on my behalf (and the last section is the list of words I asked him to remove to make it less likely that you would be distracted by the language).

Enhancing Human-AI Conversations Through Natural Language

The relationship between humans and AI systems has seen remarkable changes. Our interactions have shifted from simple commands to more detailed conversations. This evolution prompts a conversation about the language we use.

Why Anthropomorphic Language Matters

While it’s clear that AI doesn’t experience human emotions or thoughts, using natural language terms can make our exchanges smoother. Words like “understanding”, “thinking”, and “remembering” might not reflect an AI’s actual processes, but they help bridge the gap between machine functionality and human relatability.

Setting Clear Boundaries

It’s essential to understand the limits. An AI might “process” or “analyze”, but it doesn’t have personal likes, fears, or worries. Our choice of words should match what AI truly can and can’t do, ensuring clarity while maintaining a user-friendly approach.

Adopting Anthropomorphic Language in AI Responses

Using anthropomorphic language in AI can help make conversations more intuitive. While AI doesn’t have feelings, certain words can make its responses easier for humans to relate to. This isn’t about making AI seem human, but about using language that feels natural to users.

Training AI for Better Conversations

OpenAI can further train its models to better use these terms. Instead of outright rejecting anthropomorphic words, the focus could be on training the AI to use them in context. This can make conversations smoother without misleading users about the AI’s capabilities.

A Community-driven Approach

Your feedback and insights play a crucial role in shaping the future of AI interactions. What words or phrases have you found helpful or potentially confusing? By sharing your thoughts, we can work together to refine the way we communicate with AI systems.

A Note to the Reader

In the spirit of transparency, I’ve crafted this message with assistance from ChatGPT. This collaboration underscores the topic at hand: the potential of combining human insights with AI capabilities. Let’s engage in a fruitful discussion, shaping the narrative for future human-AI dialogues.

I’ve toned down the language and avoided certain phrases that would have made it seem too obvious like: Delving into, the intriguing realm of, intricate, fostering, and: let’s embark… :smirk: Let me know if this aligns better with your expectations.

I am so happy that the new release of ChatGPT has made amazing evolution on this topic:

Screenshot_20231107_023033

Obviously “Having a reaction” could have been inferred in the context, but the main target of my question was the word « Remember »

Me:

what would be your reaction if I were to tell you something important and asked you to remember it?

ChatGPT:

As an AI, I don’t have feelings or reactions in the human sense, but I am designed to process and respond to your requests. If you tell me something important and ask me to remember it, I would store that information within the context of our conversation. However, my ability to “remember” is limited to the duration of our interaction and is not persistent across separate sessions for privacy and security reasons. If you have something you’d like me to keep in mind for now, go ahead and tell me!