Chat with Your Notes - Smart Chat for Obsidian (nominated for Best New Plugin '23)

Hey OpenAI community! :wave:

I’m thrilled to share an exciting new feature for Obsidian users: Smart Chat! :rocket: It’s an AI-powered feature that turns your Obsidian notes into interactive, conversational experiences. Imagine having an AI assistant that helps you dive deeper into your content and explore connections between ideas - that’s Smart Chat!

Curious about how it works? Check out my latest blog post that goes into detail about the Smart Chat feature, its benefits, and how to make the most of it: Introducing Smart Chat: Transform Your Obsidian Notes into Interactive AI-Powered Conversations

smart-connections-chat-who-am-i

Smart Chat is part of the Smart Connections plugin, which you can install now via the Obsidian community plugins directory.

Give it a try, and let me know what you think!

Happy chatting! :left_speech_bubble:

5 Likes

Does it work with pdf? Or only with notes?

I found this https://pdfgpt.io/ where it work with pdf.

Very cool! This is yet another copilot. :wink: Combining your data with their LLMs will change so many aspects of knowledge work.

I’ve also looked at the use of GPT to create a tool-agnostic layer for PKM. It’s nothing fancy, but it has different aspirations

When I’m in Tana (for example), I may stumble across something I saw in Slack that is particularly relevant to my current focus. I can go find it, or maybe I bookmarked it in Mem. I recall bookmarking it, but where exactly?

This is a common and pervasive process; we see things that are sense-worthy; they are snippets of information that move us in some way, or compel us to take note. But they happen across a vast horizon of tools and contexts. If you’re a new startup like Tana, you now need to build a few dozen API interfaces in a futile attempt to play everywhere.

This is the interoperability paradox; the number of connections and the effort required to build them is bigger than the product itself.

No single vendor of PKM can ever be everywhere. This is why glue factories like Make and Zapier have thrived, despite serving as band-aide-like duct tape, poorly architected Goldbergian shit shows, and deeply latent. These tools attract business logic (where it should not live) and create more security attack surfaces. Describing this as a shit show is probably being kind.

I think LLMs can help to overcome these types of knowledge work paradoxes.

1 Like

Currently just markdown, the primary format of Obsidian notes.

In case anyone is interested, the code is available here GitHub - brianpetro/obsidian-smart-connections: Chat with your notes in Obsidian! Plus, see what's most relevant in real-time! Interact and stay organized. Powered by OpenAI ChatGPT, GPT-4 & Embeddings.

1 Like

Smart Connections was nominated for Best New Obsidian Plugin.

For anyone that’s following along with the progress or using the plugin, there’s now also a GPT

1 Like