Chat history & training option missing from web UI

The Data Controls FAQ (https://help.openai.com/en/articles/7730893-data-controls-faq) contains the following statement:

“To disable chat history and model training, navigate to ChatGPT > Settings > Data Controls and disable Chat history & training. While history is disabled, new conversations won’t be used to train and improve our models, and won’t appear in the history sidebar.”

However, when I click on “Data controls” from the chatGPT web settings (open chatgpt on browser, click your profile icon in bottom left, click settings, click Data controls) I do not see any “Chat history & training” option. Looking through the rest of the settings I do not see anything relating to chat history either.

Was this option purposefully removed in a recent update to the web UI? If so then the linked FAQ page should be updated to remove references to “Chat history & training”

Screenshot 2024-04-29 at 3.07.04 PM

2 Likes

Why has this not been addressed? WTH OpenAI?!

If the “Improve the model for everyone” option is turned OFF, it should mean that the conversation will not be used for training the model.

FYI the FAQ has been updated:

Seems like I got the new UI update before the FAQ was updated, but it all matches now.

In answer to my original question the way to get the old “does not put your chats in your history or use them for model training” mode is to click on the model selection icon in the top left of the chat window, and then toggle “temporary chat”:

Screen Recording 2024-05-13 at 1.33.09 PM.mov

Thanks bro. I really appreciate the info.