Can I provide my library with a GPT Plus account that students can check out and use on site under supervision?

I am a librarian at a small academic library. We’ve been having discussions about the equity gap created by unequal access to tools like GPT Plus, and this conversation has evolved into the topic of providing all of our students access through a library account. Here is how it would work:

Students would come to the desk and “check out” the account for up to 3 hours, giving them the ability to use the allotted 20 messages for that time period. They would sit at a computer designated for GPT, and a member of the staff would log them in. Students would never be given the password. Once they were done, they would be logged out by staff.

There are a lot of logistical issues that we can solve on our own, but the one I am asking you all about is whether or not this is in violation of OpenAI’s TOS. Are we allowed to let multiple people have controlled, supervised access like this? I would appreciate any insight this community might have on this topic. Thank you!

Hey there and welcome to the community!

This sounds like a great idea, and I think it should be fine with the TOS.

I’d recommend looking into a “Teams” account. That might help make it easier for your staff to handle these kinds of tasks.

Best of luck!

1 Like

Thank you! I didn’t know about the Teams account, but after looking into it, that looks great! Thanks for telling me about that.

1 Like