Are Ads Allowed in Plugins?

And you have to pay not to see it. I say overall even if it was intended to make my life easier. It never did. Not even once. I want to watch a video. And then there comes an ad and I might buy it - but not because I had the urge to do so but because the ad created that urge.

Yes, and when I don’t like that I will search for more. I don’t need 10 million ads telling me that there are thousands of types of different fruits.

Just make a detailed recipe page and place the ads there if you really have to.

I have to get back to work, but I’m saying decision fatigue is why you don’t get 1000 different fruits jams. The market has already narrowed them down and you don’t really have a choice in things. Hyper personalization is a way to bring choice back into people’s lives without the effects of decision fatigue.

As I, and you in a way actually, have mentioned, most people do not explore other options. They just go with what they see. Personally I would rather have an AI attuned to me and my likes constantly suggesting things I’m willing to by, within my budget, and aligned with my personal goals. It doesn’t have to be disruptive, that’s just the route people have taken.

If they are annoying and make people angry, then that is a perfect product or market to disrupt. There is no good alternative so people keep using it. If you can make one that doesn’t piss people off. Everyone’s life will be better.

Anyways, good luck peeps. As I mentioned, I have some work to get too.

2 Likes

Then you can add yourself to newsletters or visit pages for inspiration or yes use an application that bombs you with ads. When the user has searched for ads, then ads is the answer.

1 Like

You’re welcome @jahangir,

I think the points I wanted to make have already been posted by @elmstedt & @jochenschultz

I do think there’s a slight issue of perspective here

This is also why some supermarket’s place candy at the checkout isle, this may seem convenient, but this sales tactic is regarded as predetory from a costumer standpoint, as it tries to capitalize on decision fatigue.

Personally speaking, my life is objectively better without advertisements.

Agreed, ads are not the answer in all other case’s. I don’t think there’s anyone here who wants advertisment’s injected into the conversations of chatGPT users who share their data with OpenAI for training purposes.

2 Likes

Summary created by AI.

The forum members discussed the idea of serving advertisements in plugins. The idea was brought up by Jahangir who pointed out that as long as the ads are legal, he sees no obstacle in the platform rules. Several members had concerns and objections to this practice. Jochenschultz and Elmstedt emphasised issues such as the potential degradation of service quality, violation of privacy rules, and the addition of extraneous tokens in chats that could potentially be a cost factor for OpenAI. They see it against the usage policies of OpenAI. They posed the question of relevance and the targeting and tracking of ads which they believed would violate privacy rules. Elmstedt also was skeptical about the realization of ad revenue from the practice. Codie approached the discussion from a different angle, suggesting a less intrusive form of advertising that could be implemented seamlessly and be personalized. He argued the practice could alleviate decision fatigue, increasing user satisfaction. The majority of other forum members, however, stood against the idea of integrating ads into ChatGPT. They argued that such practices could be intrusive, irrelevant, and potentially manipulative. While ads may be a source of revenue, the potential negative impact on user experience and violation of platform rules largely outweighed the potential benefits.

It just seemed that this was needed at this point.

4 Likes

I think the defining factor here is explicitly wanting an advertisement. Each app/plugin/product listed on any sort of storefront is inherently an advertisement. Yet, we asked to see them.

Injecting ads, relevant or not is fundamentally intrusive.

Of course, there needs to be a way for plugin developers to sustain their service, but ads in the form that is being discussed here is low-effort and not beneficial to anyone besides, perhaps, someone who stands to gain lots of money introducing such a cancerous concept.

There are simply much healthier ways to monetize plugins, such as tiered services.

2 Likes

This will be my last post, while it is ads related, we’ve strayed quite far from “Are they allowed”.

That is not entirely accurate. You implicitly want them. It is implied you want them because every store front, whether it be steam, google play, netflix, youtube, is trying to find some overlap in the content you like and is showing it to you. Even in google search, sure they are showing you what you are explicitly looking for, but it is implied that you want something of a certain quality based on what billions of other people are searching and their sorting algorithm.

That’s not what hyper personalization is. That is called the impulse aisle. Hyper personalization would be an AI or algorithm either discovering what your goals are, weight loss, life savings, new hobby, learning new skill, staying up to date on latest tech trends, etc. or you telling it to the AI directly. Then, the AI can start suggesting things to you throughout the day as you interact with it in a non intrusive way. The goal being to find things in the world that can help you accomplish your implied or stated goals.

Tiered services are good for businesses and professionals, but not so great for the general consumer most of the time. There are a few exceptions, like internet speeds, but tiered access to sections the internet is largely frowned upon. Now imagine tiered access to levels of intelligence where the rich people get the most superior AI and the poor people get some dumb AI that can only make poems and write emails. Season/Battle Passes are a good example. Paying players get tons of cool powerful items and level up faster and easier than non paying players.

No, I think an ad driven platform where everyone has access to the same level of AI would be more beneficial. For those who think it will siphon off revenue from OpenAI, I think that is also the wrong take, (especially considering OpenAI is charging per token, so more usage is better). Google play store is so loaded with apps because indie developers have access to revenue streams like ads. If OpenAI is going to succeed, they’ll need more apps, they can’t make everything. If people are going to make apps, they need money. I know users who are paying a $1000 dollars a month in AI subscriptions. That is not sustainable. There needs to be alternatives.

Like I said, that is my last take on the matter. But really great talk everyone. Reminds me of the early days of talking about how to monetize the internet and creating a sustainable business environment for people to build on. Clearly something great is coming.

I’m not sure what you mean by this. When I go to any storefront I am going with the expectation of buying something. I want to see advertisements. If I am looking up a recipe I just do not care about other products. When I enter a store, or open up steam’s storefront I am saying “Show me your products!”

When I goto Netflix I want to see other movies. I want a recommendation engine to be learning me. It’s a fair trade-off because it’s my expectation to be delivered new, hopefully relevant content.

Although this is more opinionated, I disagree. Consumer’s do win with tiered services. A large majority of SaaS offer tiered services which reflect the needs of the user. For example, Pinecone offers a free tier, Google offers a lot of their services for free. Just some examples, but they, in my opinion represent a proper tiered system that benefits everyone. Especially if we compare them to just injecting ads into content. I probably used the wrong word, I didn’t mean to imply “paywall’d content”.

I see what you’re saying about battle passes, and I disagree with them if they offer advantages, but that’s a completely different ecosystem.

Thinking further, I agree and think that tier is not the best. Maybe more like a credit system with a tiered pricing system, so all have the same level of access.

Completely agree.

I was referring to the use of decision fatigue as an argument for ad’s, I’m happy we can agree on what the impulse aisle is.

This seems like a sensible conclusion, let’s get back on track.

Original post:

So far it seems like the conclusion to the question is “ads are probably not allowed or at least heavily discouraged”

1 Like

Full disclosure: My company directly benefits from advertising.

Now that the disclosure is out of the way. I do really wonder how AI will be monetized for the masses. Currently, for paid models, most of the cash is through subscriptions (ChatGPT) or paying your invoice (API bills).

With these models, I would expect no ads.

However, what about free versions? Here I expect ads.

So here’s the rub. With ChatGPT, you are paying, and here, even with plugin providers ready to monetize … I expect no ads. However, with “free” ChatGPT users … feel free to ad away!

So in the case of plugins, I think you could justify ads for the free users, but not for paid.

What do you think?

Another spin on this, from the plugin provider’s perspective, is if the plugin is labeled as “Ad supported”, you get ads from the plugin (not the LLM), and if you upgrade the plugin to paid, you don’t see the ads. This way, OpenAI (or whatever LLM provider) doesn’t need to track the account status … it’s part of the agreement using the plugin.

4 Likes

And that’s also the reason why I have deinstalled 90% of the ads I have tried. Before you make one where you think ads would bring in revenue better don’t make it.

Just because others like google do it doesn’t make it a good thing. I would prefer if it was without ads.

But a payment system would be good. Something like a cart inside ChatGPT and a checkout process.
Not outside ChatGPT.

1 Like

All good points by Curt

I think the idea itself seems sound, it could be a thing for free users, but I don’t think OpenAI is interested in selling ad’s, that’s google and facebook’s thing :wink:

1 Like

I agree @N2U, certainly OpenAI has the appearance of “direct to consumer” payment systems.

My thought though, is that in the future … not now … but say 1+ years, after the open source (OS) models start to dominate, folks will drop paid services and use the other models. To compete, OpenAI will have to do something to sustain its business, and that always leads to the “ad man” knocking on your door, and giving you an offer you can’t refuse.

So in this hypothetical scenario, what is the answer? They could still maintain their position as “non ad”, I don’t blame them, I hate being bombarded by ads too, but OpenAI could choose take a cut of the plugin ad revenue (supposing that is allowed). Or they do it directly, and give the plugin operators a cut.

They have to eventually do something, the models are not cheap to run, and OS quality is quickly catching up. Even if OpenAI always maintains “flagship” model status in the industry, as the other models grow, people will naturally drop off from the mothership because they don’t need extreme quality.

2 Likes

This is a fun thought!

Considering that we need to pay for plugins, it would be unfair to ALSO have ads placed in the content. That’s double-dipping!

For the plugin developers. I would imagine that they already, or eventually will have their own service, and that the ChatGPT plugin acts as, I guess a semantic adapter for it? So the profit would come from users going to the plugin developer’s website/service and subscribing there?

Also, I would have to question the service that I am using if it has generated relevant ads to my text. How else is it using my data? It’s just a nasty can of worms for me.

It’s one thing to see the most ridiculous horn-dog advertisements when I’m playing some free mobile game, but it would just be brutal talking to some recipe search plugin that won’t shut the **** up about McD’s Muffins, or if I’ve had a Cola lately.

To any Red Dwarf fans, it kind of reminds me of the talking toaster

In regards to ChatGPT itself having ads. I agree with your speculation on OS models. But I think the interfaces and toolsets that ChatGPT has (code interpreter is HUGE for businesses!) will justify their free version being a loss leader. I also think that more people would use these OS models rather than ChatGPT free

3 Likes

Thanks for introducing me to the talking toaster, amazing video, replace toast with ad’s and we’re very close to this conversation we’re having :rofl:

Good question, google started as a search engine, Facebook was created so Zuckerberg could get date’s, both had the “ad man” knocking at their door and eventually became the “ad men” themselves.

Both google and facebook now have business models centered around 3 steps: get free users, keep then on platform for as long as possible, and show them as many ads as possible.

I agree, but I think that staying in front is a valid business model for openAI, they have an advantage in not having to focus any development resources into delivering ads.

chatGPT is marketed as a “digital assistent”, that’s also what I’m using it for, I don’t have the money to have a personal assistant on speed dial 24/7, but I can afford chatGPT plus.

In the hypothetical scenario where I can afford a personal assistant, I would hire the one with the best credentials, not one with the lowest wage.

2 Likes

You can already initiate chat with the API

import openai
                                                                          # Set up your OpenAI API credentials                                      openai.api_key = 'YOUR_API_KEY'                                                                                                                     def initiate_chat(customer_name, contact_list):                               # Get customer's contact information                                      customer_contact = contact_list.get(customer_name)                                                                                                  if customer_contact:
        # Send a message to the customer through OpenAI Chat API                  response = openai.ChatCompletion.create(                                      model="gpt-3.5-turbo",                                                    messages=[                                                                    {"role": "system", "content": "You are a customer support agent."},                                                                                 {"role": "user", "content": f"Contacting {customer_name}, please wait..."},                                                                         {"role": "assistant", "content": f"Hello {customer_name}, how can I assist you today?"}                                                         ]                                                                     )                                                                 
        # Retrieve the assistant's reply                                          assistant_reply = response['choices'][0]['message']['content']
                                                                                  # Store the conversation and customer's response for future reference                                                                               full_conversation = f"{customer_contact}: {assistant_reply}"
        contact_list.add_conversation(customer_name, full_conversation)   
        # Return the assistant's reply
        return assistant_reply                                                                                                                          else:
        return "Customer not found in the contact list."                                                                                            # Example usage:                                                          contact_list = {
    "John Smith": "+1234567890",                                              "Jane Doe": "+0987654321"
}
                                                                          customer_name = "John Smith"
response = initiate_chat(customer_name, contact_list)                     print(f"Assistant: {response}")                                           
1 Like

You should work on your codestyling. Was pretty hard to read.

Really took me some time to get what you were trying to say. Some quotation would have been nice.

Thank you!

Will try that in a couple of days. Working on something completely different atm.

Do you believe that charleswilliams1120 actually created the code in that manner? It’s highly likely that he copied and pasted it here, causing the formatting to be lost in the process. Due to a lack of familiarity with the Discourse editor, he might not have known how to format it correctly. Nonetheless, pasting the code itself was still preferable to not including it at all.

A quick reformat. May not be correct but close

import openai

# Set up your OpenAI API credentials
openai.api_key = 'YOUR_API_KEY'

def initiate_chat(customer_name, contact_list):
    # Get customer's contact information
    customer_contact = contact_list.get(customer_name)
    if customer_contact:
        # Send a message to the customer through OpenAI Chat API
        response = openai.ChatCompletion.create(model="gpt-3.5-turbo",messages=[{"role": "system", "content": "You are a customer support agent."},{"role": "user", "content": f"Contacting {customer_name}, please wait..."},{"role": "assistant", "content": f"Hello {customer_name}, how can I assist you today?"}])
        # Retrieve the assistant's reply
        assistant_reply = response['choices'][0]['message']['content']
        # Store the conversation and customer's response for future reference
        full_conversation = f"{customer_contact}: {assistant_reply}"
        contact_list.add_conversation(customer_name, full_conversation)
        # Return the assistant's reply
        return assistant_reply
    else:
        return "Customer not found in the contact list."
# Example usage:
contact_list = {
    "John Smith": "+1234567890",
	"Jane Doe": "+0987654321"
}
customer_name = "John Smith"
response = initiate_chat(customer_name, contact_list)
print(f"Assistant: {response}") 
4 Likes

My bad… I wrote that in Samsung note lol it isn’t on my GitHub yet

2 Likes

Gave him a heart and a thank you… and some advice.

Maybe an emoji like :sweat_smile: was missing in all our posts?

Are you ok?

Thanks for the reformatting!