API responding with old responses (or using knowledge outside what I provide it) when asking to cleanup dictionary definitions?

Hi there, I have tried about a dozen variations to the prompt of this TypeScript OpenAI API script, to cleanup definitions I have in a CSV. The definitions are of Tibetan words, and these Tibetan words definitely don’t have definitions on the web, I looked hard for them. ChatGPT is either responding with made up definitions, or returning the definitions it made up or found for previous terms in my list. It is as is if it is using the memory of it’s past responses to randomly return responses.

More specifically, here is the output from the logs basically:

input: [ 'species of garlic' ]
output: [ 'Species of garlic' ]
input: [ 'applying medicines' ]
output: [ 'Method of employing medicinal substances' ]
input: [ 'medicine and treatment' ]
output: [ 'A charm' ]
input: [ "dag pa'i sa gsum. The three highest of the ten bhūmis." ]
output: [ "Twofold truth: Conventional and ultimate" ]
input: [
'samples of different medicinal plants',
'spices',
'different medicines, various spices mixed up together, spice'
]
output: [
"A connected term meaning, origin of water hymns."
]
// now it starts hallucinating more and repeating what it said before:
"a medicinal preparation. Prescriptions 66. Lag-len 45.1. TMC 17 (31). dwags po'i sman nag bco lnga. BP 327.5."
]
    "Twofold benefit: One’s own and other’s"
]
'to consult a doctor; x ནད་ཚབ་པོ་ཆེས་བཏབ་པའི་ནད་པ་དེས་སྨན་པ་མཁས་པ་ཞིག་བསྟེན་ when people are seriously ill, they go to consult a good doctor'
]
    "Nectar"
]
input: [ 'to consult a doctor, doctor, physician' ]
    "Twofold"
]

After a while, it just responds with the same few responses over and over again, regardless of the input. It should in theory take my messy text, clean it up, simplify it, and return a simplified array of JSON strings. But it’s not even close.

What am I doing wrong? How can I get this working? Is this not possible with ChatGPT 4o? What other AI tools could I try even?

Thanks for the help.

Welcome to the community!

Search Microsoft Translator - Translate from English to Tibetan

I’m not quite sure what you’re asking of the model here. Can you give an example of what you’re actually sending to the API?

Assistants complicates the whole thing, if you want stateless behavior you’d probably be better off using completions.

Make sure that your prompt is clear, and devoid of any negation or contradictions.

1 Like