All my conversations gone

Welp it’s happened I logged in and just as I suspected all my conversations are gone and I mean the notice is not there telling me that there temporary disabled when I go to the menu I mean there is nothing there at all

3 Likes

Still no news on this? 2 days later. I noticed it seems to be saving some conversations since it wiped all the old ones 2 days ago. Each day that goes by seems less likely we will get the historic conversations back, especially when there is no longer a message anymore saying they are temporarily missing.

5 Likes

Same here. I wish I had a backup. I really hope they come back.

3 Likes

Next question from OpenAI: Please fill in this survey.

Question: How much will you pay to regain access to your chat history?

Really, we know it’s a free service, but I still hate Microsoft for deleting all my travel diaries that I had kept in Hotmail. There’s no better way of telling people you don’t care about them at all, than pretending to give them something, so that they trust you and don’t make their own plans, and then you take it away…

Sure, it can be an accident and an engineering challenge, but … NOT ACCEPTABLE in this day and age, and especially not from such a capable team.

It really doesn’t help that Microsoft is already possibly implicated here… AGAIN.

6 Likes

Some tips for the OpenAI team, from their own model.

4 Likes

I also lost my chat history, i wanted to write them down but didnt had the time do do that.

I guess i need to chat again the stuff. It is really a great tool but that was a very bad step from OpenAI to delete the chat history without a prior warning :frowning: .

I could figure out stuff i couldnt find with a search engine, i’ll be starting again but this time i’ll copy/past immediately my results somewhere else.

3 Likes

It would be nice if it at least could give us the Chat Headlines. So we remember what we asked it about :skull:

1 Like

Would be good with an update from the team, so we know when the conversations will be back.

2 Likes

same, I’d even be so willing to assume responsibility for saving conversation onto my own disk memory; I just need to be briefed. Won’t make that mistake twice.

1 Like

I hope you have been working on your system and restoring my chat history. There are still many conversations I need to review, which are vital for my college thesis.

1 Like

Eh, college is a waste of time & money anyways.

My Question: Are my previous conversations temporarily unavailable, or permanently?

Ridiculous ChatGPT Answer: I am unable to recall previous conversations as I am a stateless model, meaning that I do not have the ability to save or recall past interactions. Each time a user interacts with me, the conversation is not stored, so it would not be possible to pull up previous conversations. If you have a requirement to store and recall previous conversations, you may consider using a stateful model or build a custom solution to store the conversations.

1 Like

They really should adress this. Are they even seen the posts? It’s so incoviniant.
I’ve traing several conversations about my D&D campaign and my progect and it’s annonig to start over.

My messages on twitter to some of their staff about it went ignored sadly. That’s not a good sign either

I was thinking about applying for a job at OpenAI to build a PHP web server / db system to store prior chats for users.

I wouldn’t want to use node.js or python for server side web scripting though(which is what I think they’re using at the moment).

1 Like

What a bunch of whiners! LOL

Decades of R&D into AI and billions of dollars of investments and finally a successful beta generative Al, and people whine they did not save their chats when using a free, beta, early release.

Be grateful and save your chats if you value and need them so much!

:slight_smile:

1 Like

I really hope my chats haven’t been deleted as its been a few days now and still the chats arent back. If they come back im immediately putting then all into google documents and other document like sites as to hopefully not have them get “temporarily” disabled again. So hopefully maybe a few more days and they will be back.

Hang in there! Per the message in the UI:

previous conversations are temporarily unavailable

In general, if you are highly dependent on the conversations, please save them elsewhere as ChatGPT is a research preview.

I am going to close this thread for now and will post any updates as they become available.

11 Likes

You should see a message when you login that says:

Your previously unavailable conversation history has been restored! Your previous conversations can now be viewed and continued as normal. We apologize for any inconvenience caused by the recent outage. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Thank you all for being patient!

6 Likes