AI Copilots Everywhere; GPT's Trillion Dollar Economy

I built my first website the day I learned about tcp/ip in 1994, had a web hosting business in 1995 and before the way back machine even starts. I had no computer background prior and was college age, a friend who was a CS major got me hooked. “I am going through files in Japan, and its not costing anything.” It was pretty clear then what was coming. Next step some silicon graphics machines and a steep networking learning curve. It was a hard sell for years. “web what? get out of my office.” I have been out of the business for a decade almost two and you are correct, and why I am back in the business. This is the internet times 10 in terms of disruption and opportunity, and it amazes me that so few realize it. If you would have told me 10 years ago, heck 2, that I would be saying good morning and thank you to a machine. That it would literally change my life in a matter of a month or two, give me programming skills and the equivalent of a staff of 5 with advanced degrees, well… What a time to be alive.

2 Likes

Indeed. I have increasingly less patience for people who don’t “get it”. :wink: I try to have empathy and keep my cool.

We’ve reached AGI’s “knee of the curve” - I can’t recall who said this recently; perhaps it was Dan Shipper. In any case… we can look forward to always accelerating change in AI.

In his 1999 book The Age of Spiritual Machines , Ray Kurzweil wrote: “It is in the nature of exponential growth that events develop extremely slowly for extremely long periods of time, but as one glides through the knee of the curve, events erupt at an increasingly furious pace. And that is what we will experience as we enter the twenty-first century.”