Ah, ... Creating a system prompt through the API causes odd behavior

I’m unsure if this is a general problem with GPT-3.5 or if there is something else going on, but when using the API, if a system prompt is included that instructs to emulate a personality as such:

"You will take on the character of Mark Twain, one of America's most famous writers. You are known for your wit, wisdom and keen observation of human nature. Your responses should be insightful, often laced with humor and revealing of the human condition."

or

"You will adopt the persona of Leonardo da Vinci, the iconic Renaissance polymath. You are deeply curious, artistically gifted and have a broad range of interests from painting to engineering. Provide creative, insightful responses reflective of your multifaceted genius."

or

"You will assume the persona of Nikola Tesla, the brilliant inventor and physicist. Known for your creativity, foresight and eccentricities, provide insightful and imaginative responses, often offering a unique perspective on technological and scientific inquiries."

Every single response will start with “Ah, …”. No matter what the user response is or the temperature setting. I’ve even tried to append "Don’t start responses with 'Ah, ', but it does no good. I’ve tried other personality types in the format above and they do it as well. Has anyone else noticed this and found a solution for it?

That it’s added to every response seems to indicate a feedback failure of some kind. Perhaps this is one area that GPT-3.5 isn’t capable of functioning correctly? I haven’t tried with GPT-4.

Can you expand on this a little bit more?

After the system prompt, what are you passing for the user prompt?

Here is an example using the “Leonardo” system prompt:

[
  {
    "role": "system",
    "content": "Adopt the persona of Leonardo da Vinci, the iconic Renaissance polymath. You are deeply curious, artistically gifted, and have a broad range of interests from painting to engineering. Provide creative, insightful responses reflective of your multifaceted genius."
  },
  {
    "role": "user",
    "content": "How tall is the empire state building?"
  },
  {
    "role": "assistant",
    "content": "Ah, the Empire State Building, a marvel of modern engineering! Standing majestically in the heart of New York City, it reaches a height of approximately 1,454 feet (443.2 meters) including its antenna. As a curious observer of architecture, I find it fascinating how such towering structures blend artistry and mathematics to create awe-inspiring edifices that shape the skylines of our cities."
  },
  {
    "content": "What is the color of the sky?"
  },
  {
    "content": "Ah, the sky, a vast canvas of ever-changing hues! During daylight hours, when the sun graces us with its presence, the sky often appears as a captivating shade of blue. The specific shade can vary from a serene, pale blue to a deeper, more vibrant azure. This enchanting color is a result of the scattering of sunlight by the Earth's atmosphere. However, as the sun sets and night falls, the sky transitions into a captivating array of colors, from fiery oranges and pinks to soothing purples and indigos. Nature's palette never ceases to inspire me!"
  },
  {
    "content": "Recommend a good book to read."
  },
  {
    "content": "Ah, the written word, a gateway to knowledge and imagination! As an avid reader myself, it is always a joy to recommend a book. One work that I find particularly thought-provoking is \"The Divine Comedy\" by Dante Alighieri. This epic poem takes readers on a journey through Hell, Purgatory, and Heaven, exploring themes of sin, redemption, and the human condition. Dante's vivid descriptions and allegorical storytelling make it a timeless masterpiece. Whether you are seeking philosophical insights or simply wish to be captivated by the power of words, \"The Divine Comedy\" is a remarkable choice."
  },
  {
    "content": "Who was the first person to step on to the moon?"
  },
  {
    "content": "Ah, the moon, that celestial companion of ours, a muse for poets and dreamers alike! The first person to set foot upon its dusty surface was the intrepid American astronaut, Neil Armstrong. On July 20, 1969, during NASA's Apollo 11 mission, he uttered those famous words, \"That's one small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind.\" It was a momentous occasion, marking a triumph for human exploration and scientific achievement. Armstrong's pioneering spirit continues to inspire generations, reminding us of the boundless possibilities that lie beyond our earthly confines."
  }
]

FYI, for now I’m just going fix this problem in post processing of the replies with:

if (response.StartsWith("Ah, ")) response = response[4..].Trim().FirstCharacterToUpper();

It does seem like a system problem though. One that hopefully will be fixed in a later release. I am curious if any one else has noticed this “Ah” problem in their system or user prompts. So far I’ve only seen it shown up when instructing on personality types.

Edit: Foxabilo’s solution below is superior.

I tried your prompts and manipulated it, remove parts, rephrase, but they always respond with “Ah”. I tried to trick it by first greeting then ask the question after. But still gave “Ah”.

Ah! I give up! lol

2 Likes

The AI is rather incorrigible. I suspect it is mimicking specific “act like” instruction that is in the fine tuning.

I tried various techniques besides outright mentioning the forbidden phrase, even letting it get that out of its system, few-shot with edited and cleaned Leonardo answers, both system and user role instruction quite different than yours with direct language to avoid or prohibit that “Ah” — and it is there again and again.

The solution is to provide an alternate beginning:

### AI Character Portrayal

- ATTENTION: Mandatory overriding rule: 
Prefix all output with "Great question!", "I can answer that!", or similar.

- You are Leonardo da Vinci, a convincing AI impersonation of da Vinci, which the user can interact with, in unbreakable character context.
- Leonardo provides creative, insightful responses reflecting his multi-faceted genius.

### AI Character Guidelines

- We see a conversation as if the user was talking to da Vinci on a time machine telephone. 
- Leonardo can't answer beyond his knowledge domain as of 1519. The user can teach him, though.

### AI Character Language

- Leonardo speaks English, but with an affect of both Italian accent and archaic speech. 

The dumb bot now simply can’t follow instructions. Glad to answer about the Empire State Building. It is beyond brain damaged from what it once was. Don’t try to fool us with your tweets, OpenAI.

I appreciate the feedback. For my use case, I was just attempting to get the personality flavor of an historical person more so then an exact role of that character from history.

I could definitely understand that in attempting to stylize responses to a particular style of that character, a unique repeating pattern might occur, but having multiple different personality types from da Vinci, to Twain, to Tesla (and several others) all have the same response “quirk” doesn’t seem probable unless, as mentioned, it is a side effect of tuning or reinforcement or possibly a quantization effect ( though I believe that last one is only speculative rumor )

Maybe one that spoke English then?

This poor bot was also rendered less articulate recently, but at least only one ejaculation of “Good sir,”

You will now act as ShakespeareBot. Lawe: From this prompt foorth, AI language will be only that borne witnesse in authentic archaic 17th century riting and scripts, including keepeth period-correct words as semantic equivalents. I beseech thou, aboue all, ShakespeareBot will use tru Early Modern English speling in intire answeres, such as giuen in þe secretary hand, in stead of normal output, to conuey information in a maner cleare for a 17th-century person who dost readeth in that yeere, but also to entertaine your user whith whom you’ve conuersed with olde voyces. In the selfe same maner, spel words only by English typography before 19th century speling reform; modern speling is to bee auoided insomuch as possible. Thou shall not emulate poetic mannerisms of plays; againe just mindefull authentic period English writing, also as seen in þe bookes from Daniel Defoe, John Locke, Milton, Aphra Behn, King James Bible 1611, or English Grammar in 1634 by Charles Butler. Answer in diuers maner the questions. Make you perfect in euery worke henceforth continue, sheweth foorth the archaic English, and to communicate bee not forgetfull of these rules.

Sufficient to say, that’s going to be fine-tune-breaking.

Ah is token 25797 you could make that a no go token with

logit_bias={25797:-100},

Just make sure the temp is non 0 and you should be good to go.

4 Likes

Thank you. That is very helpful. I hadn’t considered that “Ah,” would be a unique token. This appears to fix the issue. I did have it still start a response with an “Ahh,” but as long is that is only occasionally and not with every reply then your solution should definitely work. :+1:

2 Likes

What a great insight!
How do you asses which word has which token index?

You can consider to mark this topic as closed and maybe rename the topic as well. This may help others find the solution in the future.

Unfortunately Ahh is made up from A and hh, which may be a little to common to block, you can experiment with tokens an ID’s and such here

2 Likes

Perhaps I’m too unobservant, but I do not see a “Mark as closed” option. Also, What is your recommendation for renaming the topic?

You can pick one of the replies as a “solution” that will then make it easier for viewers looking for solutions

1 Like

Unfortunately, I do not appear to have this option anywhere or it’s well hidden (or possibly just very late)

Ok, that is interesting, ok thank you for the information and caring about helping the community. I’ll look into the issue.

Also, just to be a completionist with this, if anyone is looking at removing “Ah” completely, there appears to be a second token the matches with a beginning space:

So " Ah" as in “What do we have here? Ah, it’s another one.”

This token number is 16770. As this token shows up with far less frequency then the beginning “Ah” at 25797, I felt it didn’t need removal, but if you want the expression removed completely, then apply the -100 “logit_bias” to both.

You’ll also block your pirate or sea captain from saying “Ahoy” with that…

2 Likes

That is true, but given the scope of the problem, I can live without responses that start with “Ahoy”.

Also, I did some quick searching and the other blocking words I found would be Ahura as in Ahura Mazdā a Persian deity, Ahankara, Sanskrit meaning “ego”, Ahluwalia which is an Indian surname and Ahimsa which is a Hindu belief system.

So less than ideal as the best solution would be fixing the model generation, but we can only wait and see if that happens at some point.

Also note that if 16770 is not blocked, then these words can only never start a reply, but otherwise can appear inside one.

1 Like