Add YouTube Videos with clickable thumbnails to your GPTs

Here’s a quick tutorial on a neat trick – how to add YouTube Videos to your GPT prompts!

TL;DR: [![your_text_describing_video](thumbnail_image_url)](youtube_video_url)

Full tutorial and explanations here (including a pretty pernicious bug):

5 Likes
  1. This is just basic markdown syntax.
  2. The “pernicious bug” you are describing is a safety feature: https://help.openai.com/en/articles/8838458-why-aren-t-my-gpt-links-clickable
1 Like
  1. This is just basic markdown syntax.

Many people don’t see images at all in ChatGPT and the ability to render Markdown is not advertised so that cannot just be assumed to be common knowledge, even if you know that to be the case.

The “pernicious bug” you are describing is a safety feature

Also not the case. Both links created are fully qualified.

A fully qualified URL includes all necessary components, including the scheme (http or https), domain, path and any query parameters.

2 Likes

Sir, this is a developer forum.

It’s not a matter of the links being fully qualified or not. It’s a matter of who created the link…

• The model assembling it = not rendering as a link = image not showing
  • The user re-typing/copying and pasting the link = it is “created” not by the model = it will be rendered as a link

The safety-feature is preventing the model from generating links which may be either broken or lead places OpenAI doesn’t want to be responsible for.

Sir, this is a developer forum.

I don’t know why this matters, or why its necessary to point out. It’s not helpful or constructive.

It’s not a matter of the links being fully qualified or not. It’s a matter of who created the link…

• The model assembling it = not rendering as a link = image not showing
  • The user re-typing/copying and pasting the link = it is “created” not by the model = it will be rendered as a link

The safety-feature is preventing the model from generating links which may be either broken or lead places OpenAI doesn’t want to be responsible for.

Also nope, the model is generating image links in another plugin I made, MapGPT without users needing to type a thing (imgs from wikipedia pulled in on an action call).

And if that were the case, the custom instructions “on start” would fail which it does not. Likely it has something to do with the model seeing the double brackets and breaking due to that or needing to have it in the “history” array to add the HTML logic in the virtual DOM.

Because the audience of developers can be expected to have either a basic understanding of markdown or the ability to quickly pick up what they need.

Or, it’s exactly what I said.

Edit: Here’s a little bit of a MWE to help you grok what’s happening,

Image render failure

Image render success

The only difference between the two is that in the first I ask the model to assemble the URL from parts and in the second I gave it the full URL.

That’s what the important part you apparently skipped in the link I shared with you said,

If a URL you’re trying to reference is partially model-generated, the link output by ChatGPT won’t be clickable.

The assembly from parts is the “partially model-generated” bit.

1 Like

I could not make it work.
Can you help me understand where I did something wrong?

For some reason the shared chats aren’t opening…

Here’s some screenshots,

2 Likes

It would be really cool to have a easy, working solution to get a clickable image link in Chat GPT. Links not being clickable is also a recurring issue.

Not sure if this will start a whole flood of display ads, but it would also be a step towards a dynamic online presence generated on the fly by AI.

1 Like

The solution is to have an action generate the complete link, then it’s no issue.

1 Like

I tried your shared link but it doesn’t work either.

Yeah, I can’t open the shared links either, probably something broken on their end and will resolve itself eventually.

This is the solution. Works for me. Cause this fixed the bug so that you dont need to prompt it and explicitly write the whole markdown.

Ah, good catch. Maybe if the URL is generated by code interpreter it will work?

Agreed!